Pre-School...Bus or No Bus?

My daughter just turned 3 and for the past couple of weeks has been attending pre-school through our local school system due to needing speech therapy. She'd be able to ride the school bus, but I won't allow it. I fully believe she still needs to be in the safety of a carseat (she's 34" and 30 lbs), so I drive her to and from. Plus, I really don't think she'd sit still on the moving bus as she should.

So, to the question...do you allow your pre-schooler to ride the school bus if it's available? What's your child's height/weight?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I sent Alex on the bus and now Chloe rides the bus. A teacher is waiting for them to step off and they are walked to their room. They do not go to class alone. Chloe isn't much bigger than Keeley and she hasn't have any problems. You do what you think is best and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it. You could find out what bus she would ride then ask the teachers if there are any preschoolers on that bus. She may have a friend to ride with. If you want the contact info for the bus garage, let me know and I can get it for you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    momoftwo152

Answer by momoftwo152 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't but Im paranoid about what is going on with the older kids on the bus.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't.. my daughter is 3 and in preschool, she's way too little. I wouldn't feel safe sending her off on a bus and not knowing if she got in her classroom or not.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OH.. my daughter is 35 lbs.. don't remember her exact height right now.. but she's taller than the kids in class.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Koy is in Pre-K and they do not offer a bus for the kids to ride. But if they did, I don't think I would let him ride. The thought of it freaks me out!!
    koyanddagansmom

Answer by koyanddagansmom at 7:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son is in special preK so he does ride the bus but, he is the only one on the bus. My other kids will not/did not ride the bus in prek. IF their are older kids on the bus, I wouldn't let her. My 6 y/o was informed of what sex was by a 5th grader so, he was taken off the bus and will not be riding it again for a long time.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My child DOES ride the bus to pre-school. Part of his IEP is that he's in a safety harness system. It's as good, if not better than a car seat. Did you check to see if they have those available? I was worried about it too. There is a bus driver and an aid on his bus for just a handful of children, all in safety systems.
    Smrtgrl96x

Answer by Smrtgrl96x at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My daughter just turned three and attends a special education preschool for therapy. She has the option of taking the bus, but I have chosen to drive her for now. The busses are equipped with 5 point harnesses, so the kids are safe. The bus is strictly for the preschoolers, so there's no older kids to worry about. There is always an aide on the bus. The teachers come out and get the kids and take them out to the bus, so nobody gets lost or left behind. The reason I drive her myself is because I'm not ready to relinquish that much much control. She has never driven with anybody but DH and I and I'd like to keep it that way for now.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I live between 2 schools which is 7 miles ech way but anyway i get paid every taking my son to preschool and he is 3 ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009