I'm 38 weeks and called the doctor...tmi

This morning I woke up to get ready for work and started throwing up. While throwing up, I peed. Then started coughing at peed again so I took off my pants and panties and sat on the bed and called into work. I got up because I thought I had to puke again but false alarm and laid down on the bed. Well, then I realized I was laying in liquid and get up and the mattress is soaked with liquid that DOES NOT smell like pee. Pee smells sour. This smells.. different. Not so unpleasant but nothing I'd want to purchase a fragrance of at Dillard's or something. and my cat smelled it and started clawing at the bed. I called the nurses and they told me to wear a pad and call back in thirty minutes. She thinks I just peed myself because I wasn't leaking anymore. I'm skeptical though. That was hours ago and I'm still not leaking or any contractions, but that was NOT pee.

Continued!!!

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• after my water broke i didn't start having contractions either, and they did end up having to induce me, and i didn't notice any leaks at first while i was up and walking around. But they confirmed my water broke and had me laying in the hospital bed, and when i stood up to go to the bathroom after about an hour or so of laying there, as soon as i stood up then there was leaking but i didn't experience any leakage as i was up and walking around. Good luck either way, and hope you get this figured out soon.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 4:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I guess my question is can your water break without a sudden onset of contractions following and does it HAVE to leak constantly afterwards? and if that wasn't my water, what was it?
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think it could definately be your water... I would just go in anyways and have them check.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• She told me not to and just to watch it. My pad is still dry and not leaking. So I don't know..
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If your not leaking they wont do anything because when your water breaks your body keeps producing fluid so you do leak. I thought that the same thing had happened to me but i was told that my body was just "holding" bath water so if your not leaking i wouldn't worry
    Anonymous

• My water broke with my first child around 10am I guess - just a very slow leak...not like you see on tv...gushing fluids :) I never started contractions on my own and had to be induced at 4 in the afternoon...could totally be your water. Hopefully they have you come in to be checked...
    Good Luck :)
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would call back, say that the leacking stopped, but that you are absolutely positive that the liquid was not urine. Be assertive and persistent. Say that you are very worried that it was your water breaking and that you want to be seen to you'll know. It's a simple test to see if it was your water. It's not unreasonable for you to be seen quickly.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If you are not leaking any more, even if it was your water, it isn't a problem. Your baby urinates which replaces any amniotic fluid lost. You can safely go for a days after your water broke. I wouldn't go in, just call your ob and see what he says.

Also, if it was: you do not want anything foreign introduced into your vagina. No vaginal exams, etc, these increase your risk of infection by introducing bacteria into you.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Oh, and most women don't deliver for 36-48 hours after their water breaks: when allowed to go naturally. The 24 hour rule is one that hospitals have made up. Just because you don't have contrax right away doesn't mean they wont start. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They don't have to induce you just because (and if) your water broke. Doctors do it much too often. The only thing that makes the risk of infection go up is introducing bacteria (i.e. sticking things in your vagina) so even if your water did break, but you're not having contractions, it's not a huge deal.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 4:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009