Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am freaking out what do I do?

My DH has had severe problems with GERD and a hyatial hernia (sp?). Well even though I told the doctors he needs surgery they refused. My husband just got back from his intake app. with a new doctor. The doctor said by the way it looks, he may be in the early stages of esophigal(sp?) cancer. I am freaking out I need some advice. I posted here cause I know more people hang out in this section. What am I goping to do? What do I do?

 
BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 13 (1,303 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • You go with the flow. Let the doctors do their job.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • ETA: sorry fot he mispellings.
    BIMOM21

    Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • It must be hard for you mom to hear the words but try to stay calm until you have more information,more tests need to be done before it is a definite diagnosis, I hate when Dr.s run off at the mouth not thinking of what they are saying is gonna affect the family, I know quite a few people the Dr.s have said that too and there was no cancer. Hang in there mom
    midnightmoma

    Answer by midnightmoma at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I wish I could help you. Im so sorry you and dh are dealing with this. I will pray for you and no Im not a relig fanatic. I just believe in doing that for people especially when they need it most.
    I have a very good friend who just went through something similar and the outcome was not good.
    Hugs
    mom_wrhsc

    Answer by mom_wrhsc at 4:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • First of all CALM DOWN! I know that's hard right now, but he needs to focus his energies on healing right now, not worrying about you. Second, there will be some time involved here, and you will get sick too if you spend that whole time all wound up. They will do more tests, and then depending on what the results of those test are, the doctor will give you alternatives and a recommendation. I know anytime a person hears the word 'cancer" they freak and want it surgically removed like yesterday, but it takes several weeks to months to get everythying decided and coordinated. Surgery may not even be needed, you never know. Please be calm for both your sakes, and best of luck. You have all our prayers. 

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I know a surgeon will be calling him with in the next 2 weeks. I know it has to be something cause they said his throat looks really bad from the acid corrosion.
    BIMOM21

    Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Hang in there and be strong for him. I know you are both probably really scared right now. You have to be strong for your family. Also, try praying. Even if you are not religious... it can't hurt right?

    I'm so sorry for your news. I hope your family pulls through.
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I am very sorry that you have this worry. Take a breath. You need to have a doctor that you both trust. The new doctor should run all of the tests from the beginning, and you should get a second opinion. It's fine to be upset. Of course you are. But you decide that you will be strong whether something is bad or not. If he does have such as serious problem, you give him all the support that he needs. The doctors will tell you and him what needs to be done. Best of luck. If you are religious, it wouldn't hurt to pray. You are in my prayers.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Based on what I see at work, they will probably try other things before doing surgery. They might try different medications to control his reflux and heal the erosions. (and probably already have...) They could do periodic endoscopies to keep surveillance on the esophagus to make sure it's not progressing into cancer. Try to be calm and trust in your doctor's expertise.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • His doctor doesnt want to try medicines. He is already on 90 mg of prevacid a day and those ar not even working.
    BIMOM21

    Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

Next question in Just for Fun
Who here