Good ideas PLEASE!

Anyone have any money saving tips? I know coupons, but in my tiny town we don't get them in the paper :( I don't have a computer at home to print them off, and I don't dare at work haha. Any really good ideas that save you good amounts of money? I'm a single mother struggling really really bad!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• what about going to the library? also talk to others and you might find a store you don't know about that could be saving you cash. I switched from Stop and shop to Hannafords and started saving $30+ a week. I love it. Also what about something to make additional income? I run an at home business (Tupperware) and it helps me suppliement my husbands income. Just something to consider. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If you're formula feeding, switch to generic. In most cases it is made by the same companies with very similar ingredients and is half the price. I use Kirkland (Costco's Brand) and my daughter likes it better than Similac. Also, I don't know how old your baby is but if on solids, make your own baby food. You'll save a fortune and it really isn't hard.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Food and toiletries are the biggest use of funds in a household besides mortgage/rent. Sometimes exceeding them. Coupons can be deceiving because they force you to buy items you wouldn't normally buy and name brands with coupons are sometimes still more expensive than just buying the off brand. I rarely used them, but still managed to save the most money by cutting my food budget. This doesn't mean we didn't eat well - on the contrary we ate better than many. I always cooked from scratch and utilized leftovers. For example, I would buy one roast to create 3 meals for 5 people. Roast seems expensive, until you break down the cost. A $9-$12 roast/ 3 days = only $3-$4 a dinner....cont
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Night 1 -Roast with mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy. Added to the original cost is carrots, potatoes and beef broth at about $6. So the entire meal is only $9-$10 and $2 or less per person. Night 2 use half of leftover roast and the gravy, add sour cream and pour over noodles. Use leftover carrots as side dish. The only expense is noodles and sour cream. About $5 more and less than $2 per person. Night 3 take remainder of roast, shred and add barbecue sauce. Make sandwiches. Serve with a vegetable and fries. About $7 additional and less than $2 per person.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• We use a lot of generic products. Just about everyting in our hm and on our bodies is generic. Eating leftovers is good too. I work 2 jobs and the amazing thing is I only work about 42 hours a week. Thrift stores for clothes sometimes, we don't have really good ones here. I drive a Ford Focus, real inexpensive on gas and they are cheap to but and easy to maintain. We drink tea, milk and juice, no soda. Soda gets expensive. When $ was real tight we had only cell ph, no house ph. We keep the lights off, we keep the temp at 70-max. 68 is best but we can't stand it. My sis keeps it on 63.
    Anonymous

• Oh and carry your lunch, don't buy. You can save a good bit doing that.
    Anonymous

• Call a local church or food pantry if you have one. There are quite a few different reduced price grocery buying groups. Some may be income qualifying, but there are a lot that are not. If your child is under five, call the local WIC office. You're not asking for a handout, you're asking for help for you and your child.
    redhddiva

Answer by redhddiva at 8:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Get rid of internet access and cable this month. That puts dollars back into your pocket in a few weeks. Go to the library and use their internet. Read more to the kids, which helps them educationally and creates time for you, with them. :)

Do you have a Dollar Tree? I find amazing things in there from time to time, esp. cleaning products.

Cut your cell phone to the lowest minutes and get rid of ringtones and text messaging. These are simply things that are non-necessities.

Leave off junk food in the grocery bill. They ruin our childrens teeth and health and keeps them from growing well and being their smartest. The average american doesn't realize how much chips, colas, sweets, etc, keep our children from having the best brain power. :)

Hope these ideas give you some ideas of your own. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• We buy all of our meat for the year at once. We buy a half cow and a half pig, the cow is $240 and the pig is $60 so $300 covers our entire year for meat. It really helps cut down on costs.
    mikismama

Answer by mikismama at 9:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am a single mom with no child support and I know how you feel. I try to set goals so I know Im saving for something and it helps me be very frugal. Like I always make food at home. I use the crock pot alot and I keep my heat on 66. In the summer we tough it ut with windows open. My mom can't stand it and won;t come over when do that, but it really does save and then we can go to the movies or something. I plan weekly menus an shop from a list. Every dollar I am about to spend I think where I would put it or imagine it in my garage sale in year and I know I don't really need it. Cut your bills as low as you can on cell and other things.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2009