How soon is too soon for contractions? and or braxton hicks contractions?

Ok so I am shopping today and I got a good contraction the whole can't breathe hold the tummy barrel over kind. The problem is that I am only 24 weeks or so.... It hasn't happened since about an hour ago, but I can't remember when they are considered or to start and be normal.

Moe727

Asked by Moe727 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's no rule about when bh can start. Many women start cramping right from the get go and never stop. I started having really painful bh around 20 weeks, and the continued right on until I delivered at 40 weeks.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• That was around the time I started getting mine. Kind of freaked me out but then I read in a book that was about the time you first start experiencing them.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If they continue I would go in right away, even if they just monitor you and send you home. My Husband was born at 26 weeks, 25 weeks and it was a struggle to keep him alive. If that happened in this day and age, the docs could have stopped her labor. So, trust your instincts and remember that the docs are there for you! Don't feel bad about going into the L&D 10 times during your pregnancy IF you have to! better safe than sorry
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• it could be BH. I got them around 20-22 weeks with my first. They would come and go, and were painful but definitely not consistent or all day thing.

It can be normal, but if you are concerned always call your doc/midwife etc. I wouldn't even worry about them. I get them occasionally now and am 27 weeks.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009