What is the earliest in weeks a baby can be born that will have good survival rate with no medical complications ?

I had what i thought was Braxton hicks and went in to find out it's preterm labor.
They stopped them and me & baby are stable.
But if it happens again i was told i would be fine to deliver at 30 weeks so our goal is to hold out to than being i'm at only 23 weeks.
I think 30 weeks is a bit early also ??
Also can the stress of preterm labor cause health issues to the baby even if it does make it to a later gestaional age ?
Thank you for the advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Thats still pretty early. I saw some twins at the hosp when I delivered my son and they were 32-33 weeks and the nurse said they barely were allowed to go home.

Answer by gemgem at 4:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• 24 weeks is technically considered viable, my Hubby survived being born at 26 weeks but it was very difficult, 30 weeks is early but there is a much better chance. I'm sorry I don't have an exact week b/c each baby is different. Some make it at 24 weeks and some don't make it at 30. Just try to relax and don't be afraid to go back to the ER...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would say that NO medical problems that 36 weeks is probably the average for the earliest. I know some born before that don't need extra help and some born after that do need assistance. But I would be very concerned to have my baby any early than 36 weeks.

Try not to worry though, even if you do deliver early and do have to have medical intervention, your baby will be well taken care of. Just thank God that we live in a time when there is medical help for premie babies.

Try to take it easy and not stress!!! (((HUGS)))
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OP HERE: Right now we are holding our breath for 30 weeks and if it happens try to stop them again but if delivery had to take place towards 30 weeks or after for a singleton would be best with limited medical side effects.
    Anonymous

• exactly each baby is different, i know a lady who gave birth at 23 weeks 26 years ago and her son is absolutely fine! my husbands ex gave birth to their daughter at 24 weeks and she passed away 2 weeks later, so there is no real solid number. im sorry you're going through this, i pray the labor is stopped
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Oh, I guess I kind of skipped the medical problems part... I agree with the PP, 36 weeks. Most babies before that at least have some respiratory problems but most can be treated
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• OP Here: Right now me & baby are sitting here just taking it easy,trying to not stress and hoping to see the month of June closer in our future.
    It's hard since with every twinge you hope it's not that start of it again.
    I just know that something was not right and glad i went in right away since any longer could of been worse for the outcome right now,which is stable.
    Anonymous

• I wish you & baby health and happiness.
    You will be in my thoughts.
    Keep us posted.

Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I hope you can at least make it to 34 weeks! But, you may just end up going all 40 weeks or longer. Especially if you're on bed rest and medication. Take it easy and try to relax and breathe. I was in the same boat with my first pregnancy and now. So, good luck!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I'm on bedrest & so on for now and seeing the doctor this week for a follow up.
    I will keep everyone posted on what happens.
    Anonymous