Breast milk...

I know some people wont understand but for reasons out of my control I will not be able to breastfeed my baby when she is born in May. Is there anyway to prevent my milk from coming in? My breast hurt so badly with my last baby I would like to prevent that this time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your doctor about it. I think I read another post where some women were talking about a medication that helped.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I don't think so. I've heard nurses say to take sudafed once the baby is born because it has a drying agent in it???
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The short answer is no. Your body is made to nourish it's young, and it will try it's hardest against you stopping it.

Before you have made your mind up about not being able to breastfeed, visit a certified lactation consultant to double check that that is actually the case. Many doctors over the years have told women they could not breastfeed due to problems and different medications - when if fact they could have. For your breastfeeding advice, go to a lactation consultant, not a doctor.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• the drying meds they used to offer non-bf mothers have been linked to breast cancer. i would just do some research and see what you can find!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I can breastfeed, I breastfed my oldest. I can not breastfeed this baby due to medications I HAVE to take.
    Anonymous

• What meds are you on? I would love to research this for you. All babies deserve breastmilk.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree with Navy Wife, on double checking on the meds. I know from experience that some doctors don't know if something is safe or not, so they say it's not just to cover their asses. I have Dr. Hale's book, Medications and Mothers Milk, if you would like me to look in it for you.

And, no, I don't think you can stop it from coming.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Enough with the BF nazis!!!!!!!!! She asked simple question.. urgh im starting to HATE this site..
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 5:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Okay, so if there is no way to prevent it, there are ways to help dry it up quickly and ease the pain. You can keep cabbage leaves in your bra to dry up the milk, and use cold compresses for comfort. If you get engorged, use your hands to squeeze out enough to ease the discomfort. If you're really hurting, a hot shower will make the milk flow and will make you feel better, but it will also encourage your body to produce more milk, so try to avoid that unless necessary.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• its pretty pathetic that somebody could mistake people willingness to help a woman who thinks she can't breastfeed for a nazi.

The simple fact that anyone could be so ignorant and flippant about how the word Nazi is astonishing.
    Anonymous