How do I get my baby who has only ever been BFed to take a bottle?

So here's the story.... My dd who is now 5 1/2 months old will not take a bottle and never has, even if it's BM I pumped! She will cry for at least an hour and a half ( I always give up by then) rather then take a bottle. Her father has also tried many times... She will eat from a spoon, she even atempts to feed herself. She will sip a little water or juice from a normal cup, she just hates bottles.... I am getting married in a few months and we want to go on a four day honeymoon, so I'm desperate....

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't focus on the bottle...at this age, try focusing on the sippy cup. You know she'll take that at least a little right now. Try putting breast milk in a sippy cup (when you're not around so she doesn't have the option to eat from the breast). You might find that she is good enough at it in a month to get enough to satisfy her from it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would have someone else give her the bottle and don't be in the same room. She may take it from someone else. That's the only way my DS would take a bottle.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I know plenty of couples (my own friends, and online friends) who took their babies on honeymoon with them.

The simple biology of breastfeeding determines that mother and baby should not be separated for long periods of time.
    Anonymous

• If you are not leaving for a few months... then take your time. Your baby needs BM. I agree with the sippy cup idea. Shes only 5 months.... It will take time.
    Anonymous

• My dd never had a bottle. She did the same things you described. I gave her a sippy cup of pumped breast milk and she was fine.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 6:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yikes that's a tough one. Often times babies who are bf and never offered a bottle totally reject them. It is highly unlikely that she will take one from you, but she might take one from someone else. Also while you are trying to get her to take a bottle, do it when she is very sleepy like if she gets up in the middle of the night or right before bed/nap. Sippy cups are an idea but I would be surprised if she got to the point where she would take enough breastmilk from a sippy cup while you are gone. Good luck. If I were you I would wait to take the honeymoon until after she is done nursing or old enough to go without the booby for a few days and doesn't need bottles (after 12 months). I didn't go on a honeymoon for this exact reason.
    Courtney82

Answer by Courtney82 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• First BF and then give her the bottle (with a little milk in it) to play with. That's how I started my daughter when she was a few mos. old. I got her on a bottle because I was afraid that my milk would dry up. Also, you never know, she might just go straight to a cup.

ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Have you tried different bottles with different nipples? It sounded ridiculous to me, but there were some nipples that my son just did not like.
    Frugalista

Answer by Frugalista at 9:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009