DA says had no option in charging slay suspect, 11

PITTSBURGH – A prosecutor said Monday that he had no choice but to file adult charges against an 11-year-old boy accused of killing his father's pregnant girlfriend, even though the child's age raises questions about where and how to jail him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090223/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_killed

Do you agree that he should be charged as an adult?

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not capable of understanding? At ELEVEN? I remember being eleven. I knew if you shot someone they were dead. And that it was wrong! He took 2 lives and should absolutely be charged as an adult! We are back to personal responsibility here. This is what happens when there is none! And making excuses for THIS kid only makes it easier for the next "kid" to do it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Nope. At 11 he isnt mentally developed enough to understand fully what he has done. I am sure his lawyer will bring that up and have them do an IQ test etc to see what age he is at mentally. They do it all the time. I think Couey had one done and they said he was borderline retarded but just enough to stand trial. If they arent competant though then they try them differently.

Answer by gemgem at 4:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes .
    Anonymous

• i agree wtih gemgem.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• When I was 11 I knew if I aimed a gun at someone there was the potential of death. So did he. But then again, personal responsibility is very rare nowadays, soooo, let him go.
    Anonymous

• so even though we know he has the mental capability do you think he should be in Adult Jail why not juvenile until 18
    Anonymous

• I saw a good point made in an article I was reading...if the 4 yr old understood that mommy was "gone" - then the 11 yr old surely did! To just go to school like nothing happened? Very odd...

I believe the reason the DA said he had no choice was due to a law stating that anyone over 10 yr old involved in a murder (etc) be tried as an adult; I'm sure that when they get to the arraignment or what-have-you the judge then has the power to determine whether the case should move forward at an "adult" or "juvenile" level...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Anon 5:07 the Q was if he should be CHARGED as an adult...not where he should be put. By all means, put his butt in Juvie then transfer him when he reaches 18 or 21...But he knew what he was doing was very very bad. What kind of message do you send if you let him off easy?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• momof030404 .... I did not say let him off easy... the Warden of the prison they want to send him too say they don't have the capability to handle a 11 yr old.
    Anonymous

• I really have no sympathy for the child, I understand that there could of been jeolousy and all but again at 11 you do know right from wrong, and he should be tried as an adult.
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009