"Worship no other Gods before ME" - Real Meaning??

My mother says that this statement means that there are other Gods. And that the bible DOES teach the existance of other gods... But that you are only to worship one?!?

As a pagan witch I believe in MANY gods. So I don't disagree with that part.

But my mother and I disagree on the point of who to worship. She feels that even though there are many Gods only one is the "TRUE" god. I feel that if there ARE many gods that one of them could easily have inspired the bible and tried to claim solidarity...

What are your thoughts? As a christian have you ever thought that there might be other gods? As a non-christian have you ever thought that the bible could be inspired by an actual god?

**I am doing this Anon to STOP hate mail, not to hide my beliefs...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the statement awknowledges the existence of other gods, and also permisses worship of other gods, so long as you worship the particular god in question first.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I believe in ASPECTS of the one god. In hinduism there are many different aspects of the one god. Many people believe that we're worshipping different gods, but the truth is we are worshipping different characterisics of the one god. I don't believe the bible teaches that there is more than one god, that is the first time i have ever heard that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I don't really believe in any gods. I'm more likely to believe that gods are a product of man's imagination, unable to fully comprehend the happenings around them.  Or that "gods" are/were aliens or early humans.

As for the bible, I consider it just a book of stories/fables and guidelines...written, edited, and promoted by man.

Anonymous

• God can be whomever or whatever we put in front of the one true God. So if you love money more then God then you have made it your God. If you put your job first then you have made it your God. The God that I worship understands that man tends to do just that and he will not tolerate anything or anyone being placed before him.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think of the other Gods as being false. Like an extension of Satan. There is only one God, our God in heaven. His son is Jesus. I also believe in the holy ghost. Just my view.
    Anonymous

• If you have been a pagan witch for very long you have heard the quote, "all Gods are one God." It is just possible that all the different Gods are different aspects of the "One True God" referred to by the Christians. It doesn't necessarily mean that their God is that one, merely that he too is one aspect of the supreme, unknowable deity.
    Anonymous

• **uhhh yah, what samurai_chica said, I didn't read the other answers before writing mine at 2:23
    Anonymous

• As a Christian I believe in the one true God, the God who has 3 parts. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. Jesus is God and without His blood there is no salvation. So we need to worship God. God says in the bible that He is a jealous God and that we should have no other gods bdfore Him. We should not worship idols, money, ect. He created the heavens and the earth, He knows everything about us, because He created us. Me personally I am so fullfilled by God that I don't see the need to go anywhere else other than Him. I may disagree with how you feel but I will always respect you, and respect that you can make your own choices. But I will ask you to check out a series by Louie Giglio, Indescribable, and How great is our God. Laminin will blow you away it is awesome.
    firefly_jewels

Answer by firefly_jewels at 5:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Man made pagan Gods were around at the time that was written. I don't believe there are other Gods only the one who created us.
    Anonymous

• As a non Christian but also a hard polytheists, I accept that the bible does speak of a particular God. However I consider this God a lier at best and often egotistical and embody many of mankind's worst traits. He is a tribal war God after all. I don't think there are many other Gods who could have inspired such a work.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009