What happens if you can't afford to bury your baby,will the hospital hold onto baby for help somehow ?

I was told some hospitals will help hold on to the baby until you can or they will help bury or i heard the term dispose of the baby.

Some hospitals leave it up to the parents also ?

A friend just found out she will be losing her baby the baby would of been 16 weeks.

What should i do to help her or who should i talk to at the hospital ?

What has anyone done that has went though this ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my husband lost a baby and the hospital paid for her to be creamated
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• A lot of times the hospital pays for cremation services but that's it.  She needs to talk to the hospital.  If they won't do it, contact a funeral home and explain the situation.  Ask what their options are.

Anonymous

• Oh wow that's so sad. Hopefully a local church or something will help her out. I have heard of them "disposing" of babies bodies. Or using them for research. But I'm sure that would have to come with the parents approval.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Did you have to take the baby to somewhere and they paid for it or once you had the loss the hospital took it creamated and did they give you an option for the ashes or could oyu walk away knowing the baby was took care of and could rest in peace.

I heard of one hospital the parents have to take the baby with them,bring to a funeral home,make arrangement,which would be horrible to do...
    Anonymous

• My aunt lost a baby a few years ago, and the hospital paid for the cremation. Then they place the ashes of all the babies at a local cemetary by our house so you can go visit them.
    Anonymous

• i THINK my husband's ex took their daughter to a place to have her cremated and the hospital covered it... i dont know 100% though and i dont want to ask her
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• When our daughter died ( she was stillborn at 36 weeks), the hospital gave us the information for a funeral home. Dh called and they came out and got Kahlan and cremated her for free. When her ashes were ready, they called and Dh went and picked them up.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 5:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• This is very hard to go through. Its nice that you are there for your friend, and trying to figure all this stuff out so she doesn't have too. I just had my baby about 2 1/2 weeks ago, he was only 17 1/2 weeks along. We had the hospital cremate him, and we collected his ashes about a week later. I had to get them as soon as I got the letter saying they were ready to be picked up. I couldn't bear to think of them sitting there on a shelf. We haven't gotten a bill for the cremation, I think the hospital just did it for no charge. We aren't having a traditional service. Nor are we burying him. I think we might get necklaces that hold the ashes. Or just an urn to keep at the house. We aren't wanting to bury them. Nor do we want to spread them anywhere, not yet. Probably some day, somewhere special.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• That also happened to us, we lost our son at 24 weeks gestation. The hospital will cremate but its with other babys and you dont get the remains. We had Noah cremated at a mortuary by our house, and they did it for free, we just had to pay for the urn. I am sorry about her loss. The hospital will give you options, just ask.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• A friend went through thisw also and her baby was 21 weeks and she felt .
    She thinks it would be best for it to all stay contained at the hospital they can cremate and keep the remains,she feels it would be to hard to bring home a memory to look at or have a service.
    She wanted the healing to begin once she left the hospital not need to pick up the cremated baby at a later date or have a service,since the baby would always be in her heart.
    Anonymous