ANXIETY! Its starting to affect my driving, please help!

I never really had anxiety before, until after my 2nd child was born. I became a stay at home mom, so home is my comfort place. I find myself making excuses to keep me from leaving the house, and I don't even know why. Now within the past few months my anxiety has been really severe while I'm driving. I start getting light headed/dizzy, heart starts racing and almost feel like I'm going to pass out at the wheel. But its all in my head, because if I really focus, I can calm myself down. If I'm driving with someone else in the car I start to think that their life is in my hands, and if I do one wrong move it would be my fault if they die. It's ridiculous things like that that I've never experienced before and its starting to worry me. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but I also don't want to take any medicines if I don't have to. I figured I'd ask for some advice here first. Thoughts?? Thanks for reading

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2017 in Health

• Find a good counselor and discuss your feelings. This may be very helpful before considering meds. Try several counselors if you don't like the first. And don't let them give you meds unless you get a second opinion. GL

Answer by silverbuttons at 12:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2017

• Have you tried meditation to help you focus?

Answer by goldpandora at 5:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2017

• Practicing some focusing techniques may help, but you may also find that meds for a short while would help also. Talk with your doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 7:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2017

• I'm in your boat. I recently started having debilitating anxiety. I saw my doctor and got some Celexa and Hydroxyzine and start therapy in May. After a week and a half ,I already feel much better. Don't rule out meds

Answer by Matka_Kinder at 1:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2017

• I agree with silverbuttons. Start out w/ a therapist and see what techniques they can teach you to help you. Driving can be stressful, so it's important to find ways to stay calm and focused. GL

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2017

• I am in the same boat I agree with going to Psychotherapy and try to journal,watch caffeine intake make time for yourself with a favorite hobby those things worked for me for so long(years) but I did eventually have to start taking Zoloft this past August which has helped me. If you wanna talk just send me a message. Good Luck :)

Answer by liss05 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2017

• Speaking only from my own experience. Anxiety is hard to deal with and there is no shame in seeking help. If you don't want anxiety meds that's ok. Talk therapy could help you find out why you are reacting like this. I practice.controlled breathing. Inhale for four xseconds, hold for fir seconds, exhale for for seconds and repeat in groups of four. We can all drive ourselves crazy with fearful,thoughts. I know I do. I remind myself that I can not change or affect whatever the current stresses are and until I can change or affect it, let it go. I imagined a filing cabinet in many mind. And things I can't do anything about , I imagine filling it away. Deep breath then move on.

Answer by Couponluv42 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2017

• ...

Answer by mrsladyo at 10:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2017