3 kids, 2 car seat, mini van??

This fall I will have a newborn, 1 year old, and 8 year old. I'm in the market to buy a pre-owed vehicle because my current car is to small and it's just time to get another. The 8 year old no longer needs his booster seat, depending on the requirments the 1 year old will be in a front facing car seat, and the newborn of course in the infant seat. Does this mix automatically mean I have to buy a mini van?

I don't want a mini van because I hear the gas mileage is never that great and I drive A LOT! Anyone with experience in this area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2017 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Front facing a 1 y/o? You can buy a large SUV
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2017

• SUVs have two back seats.

Answer by louise2 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2017

• I have a Honda Pilot and you can fit two car seats in the back seat plus there is a 3rd row.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2017

• Durangos and Acadias have 3rd row seating as an option.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2017

• I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (minivan) I get 250-300 miles a tank, depending on how much freeway/city driving I do. You don't need to get a minivan, just get something with 3rd row seating, and easy access to that 3rd row.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2017

• I fit 3 car seats in the middle of my Durango with no problem. I actually put the seats in and buckled the kids in to see how hard it would be before buying it and it worked with no problem. In addition to the back seat I bought one that had 3rd row seating so I could put down the back seat and have tons of room for strollers, diaper bag, groceries, etc. It runs great in the snow but if you're looking for good gas mileage I'd go for something else. I got 17/24 mpg.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2017

• With 2 growing boys already, when my dau was born, I went from a Saturn to a mini-van and never looked back. Right now I have a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country and I love it. It's roomy and the stow & go is great. Like Rosehawk said, I get about 300 miles on a tank-full.

And it's big enough to cart around friends too. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2017

• I have a Rav 4 and you can fit 3 in the backseat, but Toyota minivans have pretty good gas mileage as well!
    weaselpecker

Answer by weaselpecker at 8:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2017