Intermittent neck pain in 9 yr old HELP

My daughter is 9 yrs old. For the past 4 years, she has been dealing with neck pain. It always hurts on both sides of her neck, just above the lymph nodes. The pain is intermittent, she could have it one day and then go for days without any pain. IT comes on at various times of the day, usually while she is in school or by dinner time. We haven't found any triggers from food or environment. She has had multiple workups, MRI, CT, bloodwork, specialists, chiropractor, natural healer....NO ONE can give me an answer as to what's wrong. CT and MRI shows 'shoddy' lymph nodes, which could mean nothing in a child. The largest lymph node is in the back of her neck and causes her no pain. Xrays show her c-spine curvature is straight, but several chiropractors say it wouldn't cause this pain, and she has been positioning to get the curvature back. We have seen neurosurgery, neurology, hematology and oncology, ortho, psych, ENT (two of them), a healer, chiropractor and upper cervical specialist. Everyone says they don't know what it is. Bloodwork shows she is a carrier of EBV. Her WBC are slightly elevated (not enough to cause any concern). Everything else is normal. She has been tested for mono, cat scratch fever, and several other viral diseases. Nothing. I am at my wits end looking for some relief for my child. Does anyone have any ideas? I am even willing to travel out of state to find someone to help!!! (We are in Florida).

Suggestions we have gotten so far include: abnormal migraines (she was just guessing and wanted us to 'try' different daily medications that aren't 100% safe in kids.) NO. The first ENT we saw said it was from drinking juice. If we stopped giving her juice, she would be cured. Milk with its acidity was ok and soda was ok. Hence, the two ENT's. Chiropractor thought maybe it was viral with the EBV being positive. She took antiviral supplements for a year with no help. We have tried different pillows. Softer, firmer, no pillow at all, orthopedic pillows. Nothing helps. She had an eye exam and vision is normal, no concerns there. We thought it could be posture and went through exercises, a special cushion for her chair, and taking away electronics

cmkeeling2

Asked by cmkeeling2 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2017 in Health

• Since they haven't found anything medically wrong, have they suggested a new pillow? If she has a phone or other electronic device she uses frequently, sometimes the posture kids have while on them can cause neck pain. Hope you get the answers you need so she can have some relief. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2017

• I have a hard time with pillows. Have a hard time finding one that doesn't make my neck hurt.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2017

• We have tried different pillows. Softer, firmer, no pillow at all, orthopedic pillows. Nothing helps. She had an eye exam and vision is normal, no concerns there. We thought it could be posture and went through exercises, a special cushion for her chair, and taking away electronics.

Suggestions we have gotten so far include: abnormal migraines (she was just guessing and wanted us to 'try' different daily medications that aren't 100% safe in kids.) NO. The first ENT we saw said it was from drinking juice. If we stopped giving her juice, she would be cured. Milk with its acidity was ok and soda was ok. Hence, the two ENT's. Chiropractor thought maybe it was viral with the EBV being positive. She took antiviral supplements for a year with no help. I just want my baby to not be in pain anymore. :(
    cmkeeling2

Comment by cmkeeling2 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2017

• I have a problem with the ENT that told you milk is an acid.....It's not, it's a base.

Anyway, at this point my best guess is growing pains. It's odd that it would be in her neck, but nothing about kids is normal in my house.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2017

• I read several things online about diet and neck pain. Google it. You might go organic for her diet. My DIL swears she has less aches and pains by eating organic. Especially get rid of any soda. It is well documented how bad soda is for our kids. Best wishes.
    silverbuttons

Answer by silverbuttons at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2017

• Also, you might want to keep a food diary - jot down what she eats daily. And then look at what was eaten the day of or the previous day when she has pain. You might soon see a trigger. GL
    silverbuttons

Answer by silverbuttons at 1:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2017

• PT to strengthen her neck muscles - they will treat the symptoms and often fix the issue without actually nailing down the exact cause. Might also want to look into munchausen by proxy syndrome...
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 9:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2017