How would your word this?

Does anyone have a good... diplomatic 'but to the point' way to tell a neighbor who will be having a live-band party in our sub-division that we don't want to have their guests to park along our road (no curbs) A couple others neighbors have had parties and ruined our lawn. I mean tore it up and we had to repair it.The one neighbor knew we had reseeded it and had a party (we knew nothing of it) and what a mess and my husband went over there 'during' their party and told them to move their cars. He was hopping mad and the guy never offered to pay for repairs or apologized. I am talking an area just shy of a city-block long. They have been here for 2 years and we are also invited to the party but we will be on vacation that weekend (which makes matters WORSE).

Asked by cat4458 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2017 in Money & Work

• Is it legal for people to park along the street? If so, I'm not sure you have any grounds to tell them they can't let people park there. However, to protect your lawn, if I were you I'd put barriers up - large rocks or something, so no one can accidentally park on the lawn itself. If you're out of town, could you park your own vehicles in front of your house to keep other people from parking there?

Answer by NearSeattleMom at 2:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2017

• Just put traffic cones along your property or garbage cans so they can't park there.  Potted plants...something like that. Plus, park your own cars there too.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2017

• They can park on the street but should not be near your lawn (that's terrible about last time). I would do like the others suggest and put stakes in the ground and block it off with that plastic tape like at a crime scene or add cones, potted plants, whatever. And I would go over and say "Since our lawn was destroyed last time and we had to pay to fix it, we are blocking off our property so it doesn't happen again but enjoy your party!" Your easiest bet is to block it yourself.

Answer by angkorsaway at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2017

• Can you borrow that chain thing with spikes that the police put across roads to stop traffic? Just kidding ... but I'd feel like doing something like that.

Answer by goldpandora at 7:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2017

• It might be a good idea to put barriers up along your lawn to keep people from parking on it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2017

• If you have a lawyer call the lawyer and ask what you can do about it. Or call the police and see if they will give you advice.

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2017

• Talk to the neighbor and ask them to ask their guests to please not park on your yard. Post "Private Property-No Trespassing" signs on your property. Other than that, the street is public domain and you won't be there anyway so what do you expect to be able to do about it?

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2017

• Do you have any friends who can go over there and make sure no one parks on your lawn as they arrive for the party? I agree with signs or a roped off area of some sort too.

Answer by silverbuttons at 1:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2017

• Do you have anyone keeping an eye on your house while you're gone? It might not be a bad idea for you to have someone stay at your house. I agree with the others who've suggested putting up some type of barrier to keep them from parking in your yard.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2017

• Post a sign that says no parking.
    Call the police on every violator.
    I like the idea of posting and stakes in the yard.
    Be sure to take picture of the car(s) and the damages they caused and take them to small claims court.
    You will get a rep and people will leave you alone.

Answer by Dardenella at 12:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2017