Letting our cat go

I want to get rid of my cat. I'm pregnant and have two kids already. My ex doesn't want to help and change the litter anymore. I tried to teach my older kid to do it but the way this cats box smells he would have to do it every day or every other and I don't want to be on top of him being on top of it. His hair is everywhere even though I get him groomed. I don't have time to brush him. Like now there are clumps of cat hair on the living room area rug and I have to vacuum before I put the baby down to play so he won't eat the cat hair. I talk to my son about how I'm feeling overwhelmed with the cat and he says he loves the cat so I feel guilty if I take him away. He has chipped in and will water and feed him sometimes.

I got the cat to help cope when I had my first miscarriage 3 years ago but now I've had a baby and expecting another on the way. His purpose has been met by me. I don't want my kid to feel sad-we already lost his dad (walked out). I called the Humane Society and to abandon a pet cost $35!!! I'm stuck.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 10:14 AM on May. 25, 2017 in Pets

• You need to sit down with your husband and tell HIM, not your son, that you need help with the cat. When you adopted him, it was for forever, not until you didn't need him any more. Your family needs to step up and help you out.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:26 PM on May. 25, 2017

• Why are you asking your EX to help? I agree when you adopt a pet it is forever. How old is the baby? When is you due date?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:30 PM on May. 25, 2017

• Sounds like the cat might actually be better off in a home that can offer him love and affection that your family can't give him. I know when my dh wanted an English Bulldog I finally gave in against my better judgement. Big mistake but I was able to find him a home that could give him all the love and attention that he deserved and he is much happier with her. Check with friends and family to see if anyone is wanting a cat. Don't just boot the cat out the door or drop it off somewhere. The cat offered you unlimited love and affection for 3 years. The minimum you can do is find it a loving home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:04 PM on May. 25, 2017

• Make it an out door cat and hope it wanders away.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on May. 25, 2017

• I have a solution for the cat hair - it's a thing call the "furminator" (it's a bit like a comb). The first time it takes a bit of time and you'll probably be shocked at how much hair comes off. After that, it just takes a minute or so per day to stay on top of the hair problem. Honestly, it's worth it. Plus most cats absolutely adore the furminator. I'm pretty sure your son would get the hang of it in next to no time.

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:53 AM on May. 26, 2017

• Why don't YOU clean the cat box? Just wear gloves and a mask if you're not toxoplasmosis-immune. Ask your doc to test you - chances are you already are immune - it's just a simple blood test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on May. 27, 2017

• Since you don't care for the cat much, it would be better off in a loving and caring home, even if you could get past the litter and fur. This would solve most of the problems.

Answer by Bmat at 10:19 AM on May. 27, 2017

• All great responses. I asked my son if dad could "babysit" the cat and he said yes. All the kids like the idea-he doesn't but no one cares about his feelings. I don't want to dump the cat cause he was good for a point for me and that's why I don't just want to throw him out. I'm just to busy to care for him.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:22 PM on May. 28, 2017

• Don't ever get another pet if they are there to just to meet your purpose "for a time." Pay the 35 bucks, it's the least you can do so someone else might be able to adopt him. Or put him on craigslist. But be responsible...
    angkorsaway

Answer by angkorsaway at 1:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2017

• He gave the cat away.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2017