My son started kindergarden and his birthdays in December.... Advice!

My sons 4 years old, started kindergarden like I was told he was suppose too... He's only been in school for almost a month and today his teacher asked me if he went into pre school... I said No, and she explained that she wasn't sure if he was mature enough to be in kindergarten... I had that concern too as he acts and is younger then his whole class but within this month, he has been falling into his new routine, and really enjoying school.. She suggested he go into CDC where he would go to preschool.. but we would speak more in a week. Now, I'm not sure if this is a good option for him since hes liking his school now and falling into his new routine and liking his class & teacher. I'm not sure how this would be for him, to change schools.. but I'm also wondering what else would be an option for us? What did other parents do for there tots and what worked for there children? I want him in school but she said people who are born in January have it better then anyone else in the class,and since hes born in December, he has a disadvantage because hes smaller and younger.

CandieMom88

Asked by CandieMom88 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2017 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he's doing well, understanding the material, and enjoying all of it keep him where he is. If he's struggling, then consider moving him. There is also the option for him to repeat kindergarten next year, if he needs it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2017

• My grandson's birthday was in November and the cut off was Dec 1st. My daughter held him back in preschool for that year. When she went to the school she spoke with the principal and most of the boys starting school was at least 6 months older. He was the youngest. He is not in 6th grade and doing very will in school and in sports. You have to look ahead because that 6 months makes a difference. He would have had 4 boys in the class that missed the cut off and their birthdays were in December so they were turning 6 in Kindergarten. How is his class. Are the kids older?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2017

• Having a 30 year old who to this day I wish we had held back in first grade, I would encourage you to take him out now and do preschool. He will be so much better off for it. The younger it is done the easier the transition. GL
    silverbuttons

Answer by silverbuttons at 11:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2017

• No matter how hard he tries he is going to be about 6 months or more behind the other kids. It just is a fact. He will be the last to do most milestones let alone the struggling in school. His is simply young. Put him in preschool. I can not imagine how they admitted him in the first place.
    You say you want him in school? Why? I happen to believe in school but not pushing a child beyond their years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2017

• Everything that was mentioned, is what I mentioned to my family. I understand what they wanna do and I'm more then happy to do that. I don't want him to struggle or feel smaller then everybody else and he's such a cute little guy right now. He listens and does so well with his adjustment. I think I want to put him in preschool and I mentioned that to his teacher today. She explained he isn't being bad or anything, he just wants to play.
    CandieMom88

Comment by CandieMom88 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2017

• It sounds as though preschool is for him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Sep. 20, 2017

• "He just wants to play". That's the key.....that's your answer. He should be playing at this age. That is the natural way 3 and 4 year olds learn. Get him into preschool. GL
    silverbuttons

Answer by silverbuttons at 11:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2017

• I would take him out and put him in preschool. I held my son back with a September birthday. It was a great choice for him. He's young enough that he'll be fine with the adjustment. If the teacher is mentioning it, then there is a problem. There are kids like my son in your child's class who are a year and 3 months older.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:36 AM on Sep. 21, 2017

• I started at 4. I wish I had been held back a year. I was NOT ready
    Matka_Kinder

Answer by Matka_Kinder at 1:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2017

• I agree with having him do Preschool now and Kindergarten next year. It will be easier on him doing this now, then having him get behind later. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2017