Where can I get married in a church if I don't belong to a church?

I know most churches like Catholic, Baptist, LDS, Methodist, Lutheran, etc... you have to be a member and/or use their staff. I belong to a non-denomonational Christian church where it's big and the church looks like a performance stage (not a really pretty place to get married). I have my own officiant to perform the ceremony. So can I find a church that will "rent" their building out to me for my wedding or do they not do that???

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 5:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You may be able to hold your wedding at a UU church. Or you may be able to find an old historic church that no longer serves a congregation.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Most of them will without you needing to be a member. Just start calling around. I know in Catholic churches they did used to require 6 week classes to be sure you were ready for the committment dont know if thats true anymore. I got married in a nice old civil war era church owned by the historical society. I didnt need to be affiliated with the church it was episcipilian(sp?) and they still helped me with names of caterers, a minister etc. Just start calling around. They usually charge to use the churches anyway. I paid $300 for mine.

Answer by gemgem at 5:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Most churches (like my own) won't do that because they feel like you ar their responsibility if the marriage doesn't work out and they have that divorce hanging over their church. My preacher has to counsel those who wantt o get married in our church at least 6 months. I would just have a sit down with the pastor of a church you liked and tell them your delima. Also, you may want to bring your pastor or whoever will eb marrying you to attest your marriage plans.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I wouldnt say MOST churches don't. The two churches I belonged to in my life both rented out their church because they need the money, so why not? It depends on the church. Just call around and see.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Ya most churches you have to be memeber just like Navy-Wife said. But my friend got married in an episcopalian church and they did not have to be memebers but had to pay alot to the church to do it, and they did not even have to do the pre-marital classes and counsling like I did to get married in my church.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I go to a Lutheran church and as far as I know of you don't have to be a member or attend that denomination, our Pastor likes to know that you are ready for the commitment but that could be done by communicating with the officiator. I think it depends on how strict the congregation is. Our Pastor sees all Christians as brothers and sisters in Christ. If you believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins, your family.

We were married at my husbands grandparents house, his grandpa is a Pastor, it was just them, us his brother and my best friend. We decided to save the money and start our marriage without debt. He did all of our counseling for free, and the ceremony, we just paid for clothing, and gas.
    firefly_jewels

Answer by firefly_jewels at 5:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Try some UU or nondenominational churches - they're used to being neutral ground for couples that don't want to offend any one side of the family.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My pastor marries people who do not attend our church. They have to attend 12 weeks of classes on marriage though. He also will not marry anyone who is not a Christian. He is more worried about the covenant made with God than the legal state sanctioned marriage.
    Anonymous

• I really don't think many churches will care.  Your money is just as good as their own congregation's!

My dh and I were married in the Church of England and we're both atheists.  We made an appointment to see the Vicar and told him we wanted to get married and the date we wanted.  As soon as he confirmed that the date was available he got straight down to pounds and pence.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I got married in a Methodist Church 34 years ago and I wasn't Methodist, my hubby wasn't religious at the time and we call them up and for the cost of 50 dollars we could either get married in the Chapel or in his office, since it was winter and a Saturday we opted for his office cuz it was cold!!! but it was just us and hubbies Brother so we didn't have alot of people....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009