Prom

Is it just me or has this gotten totally out of hand? I'm not just talking the skirts split all the way up to the hip or the front sliced down to the belly but also the costs! I've been seeing girls advertise their dresses from last year on Facebook and it reads something like this....Beautiful dress only worn once. Paid $1,000 asking $800.

Many of them are what I would call "invitation" dresses. Do parents actually pay this much money for a dress that their dd is only wearing one time? Do they actually approve of what their dd's are wearing? I'm not slut shaming but don't understand why you would let your dd (16-18) advertise everything they have and is ripe for popping out "by accident".

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 12:33 PM on May. 14, 2018 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree with you 100%. Things have gotten out of hand in my opinion.
    silverbuttons

Answer by silverbuttons at 7:47 PM on May. 15, 2018

• I agree!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:43 AM on May. 16, 2018

• I have 3 older dd's who between them went to 8 proms. The average cost of each dress was $50! For one dd we did buy a dress that cost $150 but she wore it for prom and two college formals so I feel we got our money's worth. My niece also decided she liked it and wore it one year so that's 4 dances out of it before we donated it to a group that helps kids that don't have the money for prom get something to wear.

I have another dd who's only 9 right now and I can't imagine her going to 2 proms and putting out $1,000 + for prom. With a $1,000 dress I'm sure you'd end up paying for nails and hair as well as shoes and assesories making it well over $1,500! That's $3,000 for 2 dances or around $750/hour! I just can't imagine paying that. How do parents do it?
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2018

• On another note...This is my niece who decided she wanted me to crochet her a dress out of Walmart bags and her date out of their trash bags. After the promanade she changed into her actual dress. For those who don't know promanade here is kinda crazy with the kids arriving in just about anything from a horse and buggy to having a truck pull a boat with them in the boat. One also built a campsite complete with  a "fire" on a hay wagon that all the kids were sitting around when they pulled in. Usually no limos! My niece decided she wanted to show up in our vintage Fan Camper which is painted pickle green.!

baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 9:50 AM on May. 16, 2018