How can I help my teen "adjust" to a new town?

We just moved here from a small town, My daughters have never lived in a large city before. My 15yr old is having problems adjusting, making friends. She went to school crying this morning, Not wanting to face another school day "friendless" What can I do to help her. We know NO ONE in Houston.

mygirlsmom152

Asked by mygirlsmom152 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If you're Christian, join a church... that would be a good way to meet people. Shop around, find one with a goo youth program. Or check online to see if there is a local Venture Crew (I think that's it, maybe Adventure crew)... my teen sil is in that, and it is lots of fun. They do all kinds of cool outdoor activities like camping, climbing, scuba... really healthy stuff for kids to be doing, and a good place to meet the right kind of friends, I would think. Good luck!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• good youth program, not "goo" :)
    sfwilson

• Are there any groups at school that she could join with her interests? Like if there is a school paper, or if she plays sports spring tryouts should be coming up soon then she would meet others with the same interests as her.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Also, I am sure there are other organizations that you could find that offer different activities for kids to get involved in. I would do some research on that. Also, see what activities they have at school that your daughter would be interested in and encourage her to join those.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I live in baytown, right outside of houston....
    im sorry your dd is going through this. my parents moved us from baytown to Laporte when i was 13. I had alot of friends in baytown, but never fit in at Laporte. Its VERY hard to go through. maybe she needs to find something she is interested in (in or out of school) and go for it. Community service is a great way of meeting new people, they may have a CS program in her school.. What is she good at? Athletics, Academics?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Oh.. Why not look for some houston moms that have teens that have the same interest as your dd.. maybe they can start an email friendship & then meet or something like that?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009