Att: Mothers of Twins..Are twins slow learners??

I read in some twin books that twins learn slower then single children. My twin girls are pretty smart... to me. They know their ABC's, colors and shapes but they walked after they turned one, they talked after they turned two. My friends children that are a few months younger, did those things before my children did. Also my friends children are potty trained before mine and they ask "What your kids aren't potty trained yet?" They just turned three in November and know how to go on the potty, but fight me when I try to put them on the potty. I try to make it fun. We sing songs, read books on the potty and I don't make them sit on it to long I just ask them to try. It is embarrassing to me and its not like I'm not trying. My friends of single children really don't know how hard it is to teach two children something at the same time. It not that easy. Twin mommies I need your advise and experiences?? Thanks for listening:)

kridal02

Asked by kridal02 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Believe me, singletons can be slow learners too. I have twin boys and they both have delays, but I have been told it is due to the fact of them being preemies. However, they were walking before they were 10 months and the just started talking at 28 months (one or two words.). We have them in school now at the age of 3. They sometimes think they are more delayed than singletons with talking because they can communicate to each other. If they are your first ones that could be it, but every child is different. Mine use twin speak, so at the school they separated them in to their own class rooms, so they can't use the twin speak. Don't listen to anyone but your doctor. If he sees an issue, don't worry, there is probably a solution. Enjoy them while they are still little! If you ever need to chat, let me know!
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well, I don't have twins but I can tell you how much I HATE generalizations like "twins learn slower". I can see some basis for it - twins have to compete for resources before birth which can slow down development before birth and make them play "catch-up' afterward. But it is so easy to fall into traps like that. It's like "boys are harder to potty train" or "girls are better at reading."

Your girls are your girls. So they aren't fully potty trained. So what? One of my nieces, a singleton, wasn't trained until nearly 4! And she's one of the smartest kids I've ever known - just mule stubborn on top of it.

And you are right, people like me with only one can only guess at how much more work it is to raise two (or more) at the same age, at the same time. Try to not let our opinions bother you - we don't know what it's like to walk in your shoes and can only vaguely guess.

Love them and enjoy them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Oh, yeah, as for the potty training, most twins or multiples (from everyone that I have asked with multiples) didn't potty train until they were about 4. Tell the ones that act surprised because they aren't potty trained that they won't go to college in diapers or even high school, so when they are ready, you will be ready!
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009