How do I get my son to eat his Veggies?

I don't give my son enough veggies. He basically won't eat them. I've put them on his plate before and he'll either take two bites and say he doesn't want it or he won't even get that far so I end up wasting it. So being tired of wasting food, I just don't serve it to him and have him drink V8 juice whenever he can to get his veggies. He loves fruits and everything else that's good for him but how do I get him to eat his veggies?

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we always make the kids eat everything on their plate as long as we are the ones to put it on his plate. we don't put a lot on the plate of any one thing, but enough. and if they don't finish the whole plate then they don't get a snack. i know it sounds harsh, but they are snackers. so is their daddy so they get it honest. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• we have a rule that you have to at least try everything on your plate and if you don't it will be your snack later. They usually get at least 2 bites in of there veggies.

I also sneak them into things they love. like muffins and cookies. Zucchini Carrot muffins/bread are super tasty, Banana Carrot another favorite. You can make Mashed baked sweet potatoes and add applesauce...just add veggies to anything they love.
    faery33

Answer by faery33 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You should always put the veggie on the plate. I dont have the source, but i read that just putting the veggie on the kids plate will help with eating habits. Omitting it completely is just accepting defeat.

He has to eat what we feed him, always. If its a new veggie, i make him at least eat one piece.
    I cook veggies into what he eats, too. i put any veggie i can into mac n cheese, grilled cheese, and cheese quesadillas. He likes cheese.....

Do a search for fun, healthy toddler food. There are alot of creative things out there!
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 8:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If he doesn't like it the first time, try again. Serve it a different way (i.e. instead frozen green beans, try can, or fresh and try differerent seasonings or maybe with a sauce until he acquires the taste). I wouldnt make a big deal. Just keep trying different things and dont make anything special for just him. Make what you like so you dont waste it if he doesnt like it. I do remember my mom made me sit at the table until I ate lima beans. I hated them, I almost threw up. I eat many vegetables today...... EXCEPT LIMA BEANS. So don't make a big deal about it.

We do have The Sneaky Chef book on our website www.cjkidz.com, that's an option too. Cut and paste http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=18&page=3
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The best way I found to get my son to eat his vegetables (and try new foods in general) was to let him help pick them out in the store and even help prepare them. When preparing dinner, I also ask him what he would prefer between a couple different choices of vegetables - again, he has a say in what he eats, so he eats more vegetables. I never make him eat them, though - but he does.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My step daughter doesn't have an option about food. She has to eat whatever vegetables I serve her or she is somehow punished (ie. No movie later or something along those lines, nothing too severe). She was resistant at first but now she eats them like crazy. It only took maybe 3 weeks to get her adjusted and now vegetables are the first thing she eats. She actually loves raw cucumbers, much to my surprise.

I never liked the idea of tricking children into eating vegetables. I think it's better they develop a taste for them. I make my step daughter try all types and the ones she likes best I serve more often.
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 1:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I forget where I read it but it actually takes us (humans) 12 times before we acquire a taste for something...so don't give up the first time! I buy the veggies i'm going to use and my kids take turns picking out which veggies to eat with dinner. I also use veggies in a lot of different recipes, also, don't be afraid to tell your child that the recipe is new for you too and you can both try it together. Letting them see that you are willing to try new things will help them right along.
    grnlf4

Answer by grnlf4 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• at least he's eating fruits so that a start. We have a rule in our house that you have to take a bite of everything that is made. PERIOD! So my former non veggie eater would get a spoonful, with a little butter or cheese on top and they had to eat it. Eventually she started eatting more of them. Still green beans, corn and carrots seem to be the only ones she'll eat so I sneak them into other foods and offer V8 infusions.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009