I NEED HELP TO MAKE A CHOICE ON A FOSTER CHILD

MY FOSTER DAUGHTER IS A CLEPTO AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THIS

CLPARRISH

Asked by CLPARRISH at 5:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I was a foster child...and if she is a teen..giving up on her is the worst thing you could do. IMO...Try getting her into counceling for her problem. Talk to her caseworker and see what they recommend. Just dont give up until you've exhausted all your options. Sorry, this is close to home and I know what its like to be given up on and passed on to the next home.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 6:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• well my mom alway made us walk back in and hand the item over and say out load that we stole it and we were sorry and we were giving it back and or paying for it if not let her get caught and stay a while in a cell and have her learn a very valuable lesson. or maybe she just has issues if shes a foster kids im sure thats not easy for her, dose she see someone?do they know the issues if not maybe she should
    Anonymous

• I agree with ChaoticSoul, try not to give up on her. My dh and I adopted four sisters from foster care. They have many issues, but the worst thing that can happen is for people to keep giving up on them. They need stability and love. Is she in counseling? If not, she probably needs to be. How long have you had her? Have you tried working on this issue with her?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• How about you work on teaching her how to earn her money. God bless you for taking her in. I hope you will be filled with wisdom and make a dramatic impact on her. :)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Cleptomaniac is a person that steals anything and everything.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I HAVE PUT HER IN THERAPY. SHE HAS HAD 4 THERAPISTS AND ALL OF THEM HAS TOLD HER THE SAME THING SHE HAS TO WANT TO QUIT AND ALSO SHE IHAS BEEN TO A DENTION CENTER SHE IS ON PROBATION AND I'VE KEPT HER FROM GOING ON FAMILY TRIPS. WHEN I SAY SHE STEALS SHE JUST DONT STEAL A PACK A GUM SHE STOLE A WEDDING RING WORTH 3.000 DOLLARS.I HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO HELP HER IM NOW MAD PLEASE HELP ME
    CLPARRISH

Answer by CLPARRISH at 6:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• How old is she? How long have you had her?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I HAVE HAD HER 1 1/2 ALMOST 2 YEARS AND SHE IS 14 YEARS OLD
    CLPARRISH

Answer by CLPARRISH at 6:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• no offense but if I were going to steal I'd steal the ring and not gum, too. The point is that if she's doing to do something like that why not shoot for the moon? Ok, now to deal with her issue. First, put up everything that's of value. I do that with my grandkids and they are not cleptos. It's just commond sense. Why was an expensive ring out and accessible? Let's be responsible for our valuables. You know the girl has a problem. Put things in a safe. They are not that expensive. There is a reason ppl do this. The girl needs help. Keep taking her to counseling and not to a different one all the time. She has to build trust with ONE so she can open up. She needs you so don't throw her out like an old shoe. Just love her for who she is not what she does or doesn't do.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I really feel for you. Sometimes the issues are so overwhelming and it seems like nothing we do will help them. Do you have a lock on your bedroom door? We had to do that. I would recommend it and put everything of value in there. Does she get up in the middle of the night? You can put an alarm on her door so you know when she opens her bedroom door. It's true what the therapist said, she's not going to change unless she wants to. However, I would keep taking her to a therapist. I would make sure it's a therapist that specializes in helping foster children. Have you bonded with her and her with you?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2009