I am a 24 year old mother of two (2,4) my husband wants another baby and i sort of due i am just beginning college for my RN license so now would be a good time our family is completely unsupportive what should I do?

Having a 3rd child

mstwright

Asked by mstwright at 6:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You should do what you and your husband want. It isn't anyone elses business or decision to how many children you should have. Are you for real?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Having 2 children is no joke and HARD work! I work in a hospital and your nursing classes will NOT be easy with two small children, unless you have tons of support and people to help watching the kids, I would really reconsider having your second child right now. Even with a husbands help, there is some things mom just do because they just do. I would really talk to some nurses who have children or nursing students who have children. Once you get into clinicals you will work midnight shifts and crazy hours! Follow your heart! School is a chance to better your family and yourself, ya know?! Good luck and do some research = )
    BraxF0508

Answer by BraxF0508 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't do it...what do you want more, your RN or another kid?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Your family means well. If having another baby right now will get in the way of your RN, then I can see why they'd urge you to wait. You may think you can do both at the same time but let me tell you it is hard. I started out in a Bachelors Nursing program and switched to an Associates program before changing my major altogether and graduating in Psychology. The two years in nursing school I had were a lot of hard work. You have multiple sciences with labs handling a lot of dangerous chemicals. Besides the danger of formaldehyde, I can't even imagine doing a dissection with morning sickness. Some lectures are 6+ hours in a row of sitting. You'll do a lot of physical work and lifting in your clinicals and won't get a lot of sleep. The boards require a lot of studying and are nothing to sneeze at either.  I would get my RN first and then have another child if I were you.  IMHO :-)

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Agreed, nursing school can be very hard and is extremely time consuming. I became pregnant with my first (unplanned) 2 semesters before graduating. I literally bawled my eyes out when I found out, because I was already sooo stretched to the limit with school and working full time. Got over it quick, because I really couldn't wait to be a mom. DH and I made it work so I could quit my job. Clinicals are demanding physically and mentally, and then there is a ton of paperwork that has to be done for them before and/or after. I'm not trying to sway you from nursing school, kudos to you for it. It is a great field and I hope you go for it. My point is, it will already be hard enough with 2 small ones, but there are plenty who do it. Being pregnant on top of that though, might get to be too much. IMO, I'd finish nursing school, take the NCLEX, and then start trying. I wish you the best and good luck in nursing school!
    MyJoieDeVivre

Answer by MyJoieDeVivre at 5:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The decision to have another child or not is solely for you and your husband to decide. However, do think about how hard it will be to study and take care of the two you have if you are pregnant too. I would either do one or the other. Start college now and wait to have #3, or have the baby now and put off college till the baby is a little older. Either way tell the relatives it is not their business and to butt out.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't blame your family. Starting school is NOT a good time to get pregnant and have a baby especially when you already have young children who need so much of your time. Wait until you graduate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2009