How do i get my 18 mth old to leave her 7 mth old sisters pacifier alone? (have already asked a few days ago, but only got one answer.) Help please!

my 18 mth old girl (Erin) will not quit taking her 7 mth old sisters (Jamie) pacifier from her. Erin had a pacifier when she was younger all day everyday, but now she just uses it at night. She has no problem with me taking her own pacifier from her in the morning and doesnt want it or ask for it during the day. Jamie's pacifier is a completely different style than Erin's, so i thought that would help keep Erin from it. Erin doesnt take it because she "needs" it, she just takes it because it's there. And, like her own, she doesnt care if i take it away from her to give back to Jamie. She just carries on with her business without a fuss, then i find her with it again later. I dont think Jamie is ready to give up the pacifier, but i do not want Erin to keep taking it.

ashlyh123

Asked by ashlyh123 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The main reason for a paci is bc in the first six months of life it helps keep the risk of SIDS down. Now that your DD is 7months old you may consider weaning her from it. Only give it to her at sleeping times. ...then only night time. ...then take it away at night when it falls out of her mouth. ...then dont give it at all.
    or i hear another lady say, cut off a little bit of the tip each day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Older daughter has made this a game. Let her take it and ignore her(unless she puts it in her mouth), if she puts in it her mouth the only thing you can do is keep tking it away and telling her she is not a baby. sorry I cannot think of anything else as she is too young for time outs.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think you answered your own question, Because it's there. And you could be putting way too much thought into "why the pacifier", but for an 18-month old, it's no different than telling her 1000 times to not touch the lamp, or the hot stove, or whatever. Just a thought.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2009