Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared and need some answers please....

I had a c-section in Oct. of 2006 now in a few weeks I am going to have another baby and my doctor wants me to try a VBAC. Now that part I am not scared about, the part I am scared about is that my doctor said that I can have pitocen if I need it but I read that I can't have anything like that because it increases my chances of uterine rupture significantly. So now I am scared that uturine rupture may happen if I have to have pitocen! Someone who has had a VBAC can you please tell me what can be used and what can't and can anything be done to induce me or does it have to happen on its own?

Answer Question

Asked by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Just tell him that you don't want pitocin, he can't force you. I also think pitocin increases the risks for c-sections in general, it did for me

    Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • If you just google 'vbac and pitocin' those results and claims are enough to scare the hell out of ya. You should talk with your doctor for a plan that you agree with and feel comfortable with. If you cannot be open with them and receive understanding...Maybe you need to consider a new doctor or atleast a second opinion.
    I worked for a group of 8 ob/gyn's and they are NOT all created equally. There are good and bad doctors....just like every profession. You deserve a good doctor who cares how you feel.
    Good Luck. and try to will be great!

    Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Your best chance is to stay at home as long as possible before going in!!!!! That's what I did! You want to avoid pitocin and an epidural like the plague! Getting induced is not recommended, so wait as long as you can (it's safe to go up to 42 weeks) and do not do anything to augment labor like breaking your water, pitocin, cervical ripening gel, etc. If you do those things, the chances for a uterine rupture go up. The best route to go is to just let it happen on it's own and go as natural as possible.

    I had a natural VBAC in October. What I did was I stayed home until my contractions were roughly 3 mins apart and showed up at the hospital 9cm dilated. And hour later she was born. I had a doula with me while I was laboring at home so she could help me manage the pain. It was great.

    GOOD LUCK! VBAC's are amazing :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Dont use pitocin! Why do you feel you would even need it? Using pitocin increases your risk of a c section by 50% wether your doing a VBAC or not.....just let nature take its coarse mama! Dont immediately go into the hospital as soon as you go into labor because then you are on there clock, its such an irrealistic time line and it means nothing, just stay home until you feel like you cant take it anymore and then head in, the less time you spend in the hospital during labor, the BETTER, that means less time for the docs to mess with you and find an excuse to push meds in your system.
    Good luck, you CAN do it mama, I just had a VBAC baby in Oct. He was 8lbs 8oz and labor was fast and natural and I had NO issues at all :)

    Answer by jlizgar at 7:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy
Bruised belly button