My daughter and son-in law are having a problem with their baby eating food. She will be two next month and her appetite is very little. All she wants is juice and milk. Sweets of course are always good! But not other foods. She's not gaining very much weight and they are worried. Any suggestions?

She was born three months early.

GrandmaPatsy

Asked by GrandmaPatsy at 7:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Cut way back on the juice and also dilute it. Juice has a lot of empty calories. She'd be much better off eating the fruit. Cut out most of the sweets. For dessert or snacks offer fresh vegetables, cheese pieces, fruit, peanut butter and jelly sandwich pieces. Find meats that she will eat and off plenty of those. Same with cooked vegetables. Ask the pediatrician how much milk she should be drinking at that age. If she is filling up on milk that may limit her desire for a more balanced diet.

Answer by Bmat at 7:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. She actually has an actual medical issue. It started as acid reflux when she was very little. Then she ate okay until it was table food. Then no way. And I mean nothing. She drank anything but would not eat. She ate very little. She was comfortable with things that were crunchy. Cheerios, crackers, and that ilk. Also yogurt and applesauce.  She is not doing this to be defiant.  She is doing this because the acid reflux turned into severe heartburn.  When we went to seasoned food, the table food, it hurt to eat.  So she learned not to.  Then it just became psychological/behavioral.  We had to seek professional help.  I am not saying that this is what is in your nieces case.

Anonymous

• But you may want to suggest possibly going to a GI specialist. We had a team of people working with us. Speach therapist, occupational therapist, dietician/nutritionist, and GI doc. It takes time but it does get better. At least it did for us.
    Anonymous

• If her weight is up to standard- for a 2 year old girl and I"m not sure of her height about 30 pounds give or take 3 pounds on her 2nd bday--- Dont worry about it. but if youd like her to intake more solids cut the milk down to 6 ounces a day and the juice to half tess (that's half water and half juice) there is a book I have it Deliciously Deceptive, By Jerry Seinfeld's wife -- it's great! A bit too much work for me but it is really really great if you have the time to do it--- I get at least one a week out on the table LOL
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have a smaller child and she will fill up on drinks over food. I have stopped giving her anything unless it's snack or time to eat. If she really needs one during the day I give her water. Which she isn't a fan of. Not all children are towering giants. Mine's perfectly healthy (yes got a second opinion) and at almost 3 she's 36 inches tall and 24 pounds. She was early and 5 pounds 13 ounces and 17 1/2 inches at birth. And we faught with GERD for over a year. I say take her to the doctor and explain what you said to us. They may give her a clean bill of health or offer you tests to see if there is a problem.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2009