i am a first time mother. i need some advice!!

i am 31 weeks pregnant and i want to know if i should get an epidural or not. i am deathly afrad of needles and i just want to know if i would be able to deal with the pain or not if i don't decide to get an epidural and decide to go naturally

GurlySpikes2

Asked by GurlySpikes2 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I did not have an epidural with my first born, and I vowed never again. Yes I handled it. Yes I got over it. But I will never forget it. I am haunted by the pictures and video and memories. I looked so awful, tired, worn out, in so much pain, swollen eyes, runny make-up, and just an all around miserable birth. But when I see the pictures from all 3 of my daughter's births, I look good. I am not ashamed to show them to anyone, and I look back on the experience with joy and happiness instead of pain and suffering.

No one can tell you what to do. It's your body. It's your choice. Maybe you could start off without it and see how bad it gets for you. Then if you think you need it, go for it. Don't feel like a failure though. And don't worry about the needle, because one, you don't even see it, you are bent over. And 2, when you are in that much pain, you will welcome a needle to ease it, I assure you! Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Blaines_wife

Answer by Blaines_wife at 12:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well, as they say, we've been doing it since time began. Yes, no matter what, you will be able to handle it. But it's your choice. If you decide no, a firm no, make sure you let everyone know you're serious, cause even mothers that decide firmly against it usually ask for it. I've had it with all three of mine(even though it didn't work the same for any of them) and I still plan to with my fourth. My theory: why not? If it's available, than yeah, I'm going to do it. It doesn't make us any different as moms. But you're going to get an IV anyway, so if it's just the needle you're afraid of, you're going to have to figure something out, because they will give you an IV whether or not you get an epidural. Hope it helps.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 9:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• well i had demural* with BOTH my kids,..i had an epidural ONLY with my second daughter,..and let me tell you,..it DID NOT WORK,.... however my advice is not useful,..as only you can decide weather or not to get an epidural,...it left me FELLING ALL THE PAIN and one super numb leg,... not all the time it works,.. i know some ppl were in the hospital chatting away on the phone after an epidural and that great for them,... but i would never get another one,.. you have to sit there and STILL for like a whole 10 minutes,..and they even poked me three times before they got in into the right tube,....

so again,.... its really want you want,..try looking into some online research about it... best wishes to you,.... and i hope everything goes well in your labor and delivery :)
    _mRs_dJ_dOe

Answer by _mRs_dJ_dOe at 9:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yep,..just like nomadsara said,.... ppl will put their foot down then at the last minute they get it,.. just like me,..i had to be induced with my second daughter,..which made me need an epidural,..

again,..... it didn't work,..either way,..good luck to you =)
    _mRs_dJ_dOe

Answer by _mRs_dJ_dOe at 9:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• if you want one why not, my sister got one with her daughter. i haven't used one but they say it makes it easier to rest in between contractions. i've never had a labor longer than 8 hours but i think if i had one longer than 10 i would probably be crying for one. and there are always other pain management options like a waterblock or pain meds.good luck with the babe and hope everything goes well.
    mamacharms

Answer by mamacharms at 9:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am deathly afraid of needles too. but I had one and let me tell you it wasn't bad at all. Now I had mine for a c section but as another fraidy cat let me tell you it was nothing. I didn't even feel it.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes i didn't want one either but once the pain kicks in wow you want something , and it's not like you'll be so drugged you won't remember anything it takes the edge off so contractions don't hurt so bad but, let your judgement take you thru this and good luck.
    lovette120

Answer by lovette120 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would say no. There are plenty of other options available...there's no reason to have a needle stuck in your spine. You can have IV drugs if you really think you need them, but honestly, childbirth is not that bad. The sciatica I had during pregnancy was ten times worse than being in labor and I'm being honest. I did have to have Pitocin and it took me awhile, and I eventually wanted Stadol/Phenergan. It's a combo IV drip. I had to have a c-section though, and had Morphine.

Make sure your wishes are known and you have a good birth plan in order. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I did so much research while I was pregnant and it was so worth it! Are you using a birth method? I did the Bradley method and it was incredible!
    mrsmarklewis

Answer by mrsmarklewis at 9:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i am deathly afraid of needles too...to me the worst part of pregnancy is having blood drawn...i did have an epidural, but the anesthesiologist was out of the county when i went into labor and my labor progressed very fast, my son was born about 15 min after it was done...i am not opposed to having another one, but i think there are cases where it isnt necessary..but my labor was very easy and i have heard horror stories about 20 hour labor... i wouldnt immediately ask for one, but if the pain is getting to bad, dont be afraid to ask for it
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• First I'd like to say congrats! Next I am going to remind you that as with anything this majorly life changing I am going to recommend that you do some research. Asking for opinions is great, but you still need to know the facts before you decide. I highly recommend the Dr.Sears birth book. It can be found at all major book stores and at most libraries. This book explains the pros and cons to all medical procedures associated with birth. If you don't want to read the book at least researchh epridurals online. I won't say that birth isn't painful, but I will tell you that the part that gets the most intense is the part after which the doctors have to let your epidural wear off, it is also the part that doesn't last long. If your labor gets too intense during contractions it usually means something isn't right with the baby's position. Relaxing in water having a massage and trying to turn the baby ahead of time with hands or chiropractic care help.
    mamacat123

Answer by mamacat123 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008