• In the Spotlight:

Help me out please!

My 9 month old is teething... she is a little behind on them! LOL she just got her first tooth last monday. I can tell the other bottom one is coming in soon. However, her first one was "coming in" for about 3 months! She was great with her first tooth, now this one already not so much! She screams at night and wants held. and today shes not eating or drinking like normal. I know that, that is normal. But she doesnt really want her baby food. She is only eating stuff she can feed herself. And of course I dont want her to eat just cheerios and puffs. Now she will eat her veggies that she feeds herself, but i want her to have the protien and everything too. what do you suggest? and from your experience how long does this last? Thanks!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 7:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 10 mo. and is exactly the same way. I've just switched to entirely finger food meals. I do soft cooked fruits and veggies, small cubes of mild cheddar, yogurt (if she'll take it on a spoon), cottage cheese, fish sticks cut into small pieces (Haddock), chicken nuggets cut into small pieces, wild salmon (lower in mercury than farm raised), squished beans (to reduce the choking risk...great source of protein and a favorite food..watch the sodium if you're doing canned though), mini meatballs (and I mean mini...for that little mouth), whole wheat pasta cut into small pieces, whole grain toast in small pieces, whole grain waffles in small pieces. Some doctors will give the okay for egg yolk at this age...ask yours. You would be surprised what they can eat with no teeth! As long as it is soft and doesn't require grinding, they're good.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• vienna sausages! the kind in the can, don't bother with the gerber ones in the jar, they are harder than the canned kind in the normal food section :)

Anonymous

• get her some teething tablets from walmart. they are homeopathic and work INSTANTLY! Also give her chilled water teething toys, tylenol as needed and baby oragel. there is no character building in pain when you are only 9 months old. As far as the eating stuff goes I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone has off days. There are days when all an adult wants to eat is chocolate and it doesnt hurt us now and then. As long as she is pooping and peeing well and it doesnt go on for more than a couple days. I think you will find if you can manage her pain her apetite will return. Dont forget to massage those gums with your finger too it feels REALLY good
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Well...I am a dental assistant and i know that oralgel just makes their gums tight. and she wont let me in her mouth to massage! I try but she is really good at keeping us out! LOL and i do give her teething tablets. They help but only for a little. I am just concerned with her eating. Shes not horrible with anything else. I think they are all going to come at once!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I really wouldn't worry about the eating. Most pediatricians and moms too will tell you that all a baby needs is formula or breastmilk for the first year... Food is just for experimenting with and kind of like a treat. Just make sure she stays hydrated..She'll eat when she's hungry. Hang in there momma, good luck!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 8:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• give her a wet washcloth and it was in parenting mag and helped my little one. Get an electric toothbrush (Crest Spinbrush $6) with soft bristles and massage her gums with it. They will pop thru easier. Let her chew on the wet washcloth and the homeopathic teething tablets. Orajel is dangerous.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• well she's still drinking formula or breast milk at 9 months so she is getting protein... dont forget to give her some tylenol for the tooth coming in gums hurt.. as for the veggies how about one pea at a time? one tiny tiny piece of corn a chopped and cooked to mush carrot or piece of broccolli all down to the same size as a Cheerio?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009