how to cure constipation in a 1month old

my friend has a lil boy, 1 month of age, and she says he has really hard stools and he cries and it sometimes takes n hour to pass them. she tried chamomile tea and fennel tea. we couldnt find any meds for babies. what should she do?

SummerMom072208

Asked by SummerMom072208 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tea is not okay to give to a newborn. Call your pediatrician. They will most likely recommend BABY pear or apple juice. NO MORE TEA!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• ya babies cant have any med. you will need to call dr. since there uis really nothin you can give a baby that young, my son is 5 months and went through thev same thing
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I meant have HER call her pedi
    humaniterian87

• PRUNES! my daughter had the same problem and her pedi told us 1oz prune juice to 2oz water and let her drink what she wants of it. or stage 1 prunes. They worked wonders!!! or if it is really bad she can use a thermometer in his butt, but i wouldnt do that often as they can get dependent on it quick!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 7:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• ok should have said this :( she has no insurance
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• What is she feeding baby? Formula? Breastmilk? Soy? Milk Based? Finding the source will definitely help in the long run.

Anonymous

• Tell her to take a wipee, put vasaline on it, and massage the baby's bottom for about 10 minutes or so, that usually helps, and she can try it a little later also. But she needs to put plenty of vasaline on it... Don't try the thermometer thing if she isn't experienced with it. It can easily damage a babies rectum.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 8:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Need more info. What are the symptoms? Not pooping does not equal constipation....constipation is passing hard dry pellets.

If baby is breastfed and not pooping, that's one of the benefits of breastfeeding. They don't poop much because breastmilk is so well used by the body.

If formula fed, it's possibly a problem with the formula itself...especially if it's been changed.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I had that problem once and the nurse told me to give her a teaspoon of dark karo syrup to one ounce of breastmilk or formula. It helped my baby a lot she pooped right away you should really try it.
    SHY_GIRL89

Answer by SHY_GIRL89 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• warm prune juice 1 ounce in the am and one in the pm (go to once a day if he gets diarrhea) LOL
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009