How do you teach a toddler to "blow" his nose?

Infants and toddlers are primarily nose breathers and both of mine are stuffed up big time. My son, who is 3, is having trouble grasping the concept of nose blowing because he inhales through his nose and then there isn't enough force behind the exhale to expell any mucus or phelm. Hoe can I teach him this technique more effectively?

Kimberly2009

Asked by Kimberly2009 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Health

• This is a good question...I think they just kind of figure it out on their own.

Anonymous

• Tell him to pretend he is blowing birthday candles out, but to do it with his nose. Sounds kinda gross but it worked for my daughter! It was the ONLY thing that she could understand! Poor baby, I hope he is feeling better soon!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 9:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Have him hold the tissue against your nose while you blow...exaggerating the motions and the force of the air. It will help him realize that when you say blow it means to push air out his nose that he can feel in the tissue.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009