not a covenant marriage????

married 3 yrs. hubby in & out of every jail within a 100 miles. drug rehab 2x! pen for almost a year. we lived together off & on thru out his shanagans. i filed for divorce after i caught him cheating (surprise...right? NOT!) he fought it for over a year, then counter-filed with "not a covenant marriage" , also stating that we have property to settle (Mine) and bills to pay(his)...i invested in this mans life for it to not exist but yet he still expect me to split property & bills.... OMG! what is he doing & why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• hope you got a prenup
    Anonymous

• If it's NOT a covenant marriage then there shouldn't be a problem. Covenant marriages are agreed upon before the marriage to help make divorces harder (agree to work things out, etc) If you bought the property while married he has rights to it. If you came into the marriage with your property he has no rights to it. As for bills, as a married couple you both can be held equally responsible for them. my x got stuck with all of mine bc I filed bankruptcy. When you filed for divorce you should have told your lawyer about the property and told him/her how you want the bills divided (him to pay his bills, etc). I'd call my lawyer and give him/her the paper you received so there can be a formal reply to his attorney. It's how settlements are made so don't panic.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Talk to a lawyer, he is getting advice in jail, from other knucklehead criminals. If the property was yours to begin with, and the bills HIS, there shouldn't be a problem. I know states have different laws, and things have to be split down the middle, but given that he is a criminal, been in and out of rehab, he may have lost his ground. Plus he cheated. I hope you can prove it, that may help you too. Don't worry. He's telling you things to get you scared. You have to find out for yourself.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2009