attachment parenting? co-sleeping?

I'm very curious to know more about attachment parenting? What exactly does it mean? It sounds like a good thing, so I'd like to hear from moms that practice it. I babywear, I'm a sahm, still nursing my 8 month old. Does any of this have to do with attachment parenting?
Also, I'm very curious about co-sleeping. My son doesn't sleep well in our bed. He really prefers his crib, but I think that's because we weren't fond of the idea of co-sleeping originally. I'm pregnant again and thinking about co-sleeping, but I'm wondering what about when the baby naps? Do you have to nap with him/her to get him/her to sleep or do they sleep in their crib?
Any information from moms who have experience with this stuff would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Attachment parenting can be defined by how you birth, feed, sleep and care for your infant. But mainly, it is following your heart. Women have been AP for millions of years, it wasn't until recent history that babies became burdens instead of blessings.

The only thing I can say for cosleeping is that you will hear a lot of dangerous things about it, and they can surely be true...when cosleeping is not done safely. Just follow the rules (no heavy blankets and pillows, no alc/drugs or sleepy medications before sleeping, etc) and cosleeping is actually SAFER for a baby.

Keep looking in to it. It sounds like you have the instincts and want to know about the technical stuff, that's where the AP trend comes in handy.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 11:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I don't know much about attachment parenting, but I do know about co-sleeping. My dd has slept in our bed for at least part of the night since the day she came home from the hospital. (she is now five months old) It wasn't the plan but, I was just so tired, and she just wanted to be near me, and it was so much easier because I am breastfeeding. The doctors don't agree, but I feel like she's safer next to me, and I love the extra bonding time. She sleeps I sleep, it works for me!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have always been an AP parent... I didn't really hear the term used often until cafemom though. My mom did give me "the baby book" by dr. sears and he went over AP parenting, but I got to that part AFTER I already did some of the things naturally. Check out this link for more info on Dr. Sears.

Dr Sears and AP

Any way, we co slept. We have a full bed and for nap time either she would sleep in the middle of the bed, or in a bassinet near us, or in her boppy on the couch etc. She slept everywhere (when she would sleep.. daytime sleeping wasn't common for her lol). She is 2 now and has her own room but we coslept for 19 months, breastfed for 21.

I would occasionally nap with her though, when I was tired haha. It was nice!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Attachment parenting generally means: baby wearing, breastfeeding, co sleeping, no cio, child led weaning, etc. Dr. Sears goes over the "b"s of Attachment parenting in the link I gave you!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Well I guess I practice attatchment parenting and didn't even know it!! My son is going on 9 months and I am still BF. He goes to sleep in his crib for naps and at night around 8 but wakes up around midnight and sleeps with me the rest of the night. It's so much easier to just nurse him and fall back to sleep...I don't even have to get out of bed. I wouldn't have it any other way
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If he is more comfortable in his crib, I would let that one go. My oldest is almost 5 and still co sleeps she never wanted to sleep on her own. The little one at 18 months prefers to sleep on her own in her crib. She just never took to co sleeping even though I tried. Goes to show you each child is different. :)

As for naps. My oldest would just sleep on my bed. The baby slept in her crib. Well.... As a small infant until she was about 6 months old, she didn't nap unless I was holding her PERIOD. Nothing I could do about it. So... again, just depends on the kid.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think AP is the most wonderful thing in the world. I have a 20 month old DD who has always been a sling baby (until recently when she didn't want it anymore), always slept with us, always nursed on demand, I have never done CIO or spanked or any of that crap.
    I use cloth diapers too which sometimes falls into the AP category, but that's all semantics.

Like you, I was doing all this stuff before I heard the term. I just find it is common sense and a very loving way to bond with your children.

Dr. Sears is the AP guru, I love every words that comes out of that family's mouth. 2 of his sons are also AP docs now and his wife is an RN. His son is actually on the show "The Doctors", he is the pediatrician.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Definitely check out www.askdrsears.com, and here are the top books I recommend by him:

The Baby Book (this book is huggee, but soo awesome talks about pregnancy, birth, nb through all those stages, it's great.)

LOVE The Vaccine Book

LOVE the discipline book.

The nightime parenting book was okay, it didn't really help me get DD to sleep better, but it just reinforces all those cuddly-wuddly attitudes that I love, lol.

Also, if you ever have night-time issues at any stage in baby's life, THE book to go to is The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley. She has the regular version, and another for toddlers and preschoolers.

Check out some AP groups here and on myspace, you'll meet lots of nice people.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• celtic your lo probably didn't do so well with daytime sleep because there wasn't a designated sleeping place for her... just a thought.

Good question OP, I've wondered those things too. (not that I'm interested in AP, but I've still always wondered...)
    Anonymous

• Attachment parenting is partly BFing and co-sleeping....sounds like you're doin it rite. I don't babywear b/c I would go crazy and I think she needs her independent time. But we do co-sleep and I love it. I had her in a bassinet for the first few weeks when I thought she was too little for the bed but then b/c I was nursing and had a c-section it was just easier for her to be in our bed and now I love it. I think we all sleep better. She actually sleeps later than me, little stinker. But I think they are much happier b/c of it honestly. As far as naps go, if daddy is home she sleeps right on him for 2 hrs. at a time. if its me, its about 30 min. Sometimes I just lay her on her side on the couch with a pillow so she doesn't roll off or if Im tired we will both go to my bed and take a nap for an hour or so. She has taken a couple naps in her crib which is good b/c I want to transition soon. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009