Fat Tuesday!

Do you celebrate Fat Tuesday with Paczki's? I am so bad, tomorrow I have a Dentist apt then I am off to the Polish village to get some. Custard is my favorite. Some times I just love being Polish! Do you get them? Do you make your own?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We celebrate Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras with King cake...sounds similar. Lots of sugar....Yum. I'm from South Louisiana. I thought Mardi Gras was a totally French holiday...didn't know the Polish celebrated as well...learned something new!
    Anonymous

• never even heard of "fat tuesday"
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It is a Polish tradition were you get ready for the start of Lent...the count down to Easter. Some people give up something for those days like sweets, so Polish women would make Paczkis like jelly doughnuts only better to get rid of all the sugar in the house to avoid temptation.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I'm fat every day - does that count?

And what the heck is a Paczki?
    Anonymous

• That sounds delish!
    Anonymous

• It does sound good. :)

When I celebrate Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) I have pancakes and sausage for supper.

I found this online. It explains the custom: "Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent. Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent. " http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/shrove.html

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes abstinence is the name of the game. We also don't eat meat on fridays and fast the whole of Good Friday. I am sure all of this sounds silly to most people, but I am 42 and these are fun things I do with my kids to pass down some Polish Catholic traditions.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009