What now?

so this author dude and i met online, he and i didnt really get to know each other but i got to read a few of his books and admired his talent. a year later, i noticed how he always put up nice poems on his profile and this author is new but not yet really famous just famous enough that his novels are sold at our local borders. anyway... i suggested that he put his poems together and sell them and told him the title of what i thought sounded cool, but when i was suggesting this to him it kind of like i was playing around attitude... a couple of months later he took me seriously and put up a website with that title and he is now going to sell his first few hundred copies at a certain price... i couldnt believe my eyes!! this man never even thanked me, i mean i wasnt looking for a portion of a profit just a simple acknowledgment and thank you and i would of been cool about it.. what am i supposed to do about all this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• He may well have forgotten how he even got the title. He may have forgotten the conversation and thinks that he thought of it on his own. Or he may not want to acknowledge your suggestions, if he does remember that you suggested them, because he fears that acknowledging them might mean that he would have to pay royalties. If you were saying it in a joking manner, it may not have occurred to him that you placed any importance on the suggestion. Or, he may have already thought of it before you talked with him and he was too polite to mention it. Or maybe not- just trying to think of possibilities.
    I don't think there is anything you can say or do that would have a good result. If you are still friends with him, you could ask him if he remembers where he got the suggestion.

Answer by Bmat at 10:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• you may not have been the only person that suggested it to him. Should he have thanked a stranger who supported him, along with his friends and family who know him personally? I do not know. i know when I had my first stuff published I thanked people who I spoke to all my life and had supported me for yrs, not anyone who I met a couple times. Sorry you feel hurt tho...but really I do not think he owed you anything publicly.
    Anonymous

• Im sure he hasnt forgotten the name of my suggested title because their were the exact same words! I wasnt looking for any public acknowledgment i just wanted him to mention it to me personally... dont care for the royalties he made off it! keep in mind I really admired him and his work.. thanks
    Anonymous

• IDK, I tell my hubby things all the time. Days or weeks later he 'comes up with an idea'. I laugh and ask him who gave him that idea? It used to drive me nuts, now I laugh at him. He may have honestly forgotten where the idea came from. You could mention it to him. If he's a jerk about it, you could laugh at him. And casually mention that you bet he gets all of his ideas from other people, and that that really doesn't qualify as being creative. But, maybe he honestly forgot that you gave him the idea?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• NOTHING!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• do nothing? and make him out to think im a nobody? thats so mean!!
    Anonymous