How can I get my baby sleeping through the night?

Our baby girl is 6 1/2 months old (corrected age 5 mos) and she goes to sleep great. But once she wakes up in the middle of the night she wants to stay up! Sometimes she wakes up and goes right back to sleep after eating, other times she'll cry and fuss for awhile. We already keep the lights out if not low and we do not make eye contact or let her think its playtime. She is very inconsistent and on no schedule at all, HELP!!

angelsmommy821

Asked by angelsmommy821 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll fall into a routine soon. Just try to be as consistent as possible. Pay attention to her day time sleeping patterns...once you see a general pattern emerge, run with it. Once you get day time sleeping into a routine, you may find it helps with nighttime sleeping. Also, do you have a consistent bedtime routine? I always did a bath and a book at bedtime ...the bath to distinguish it from day time naps. (I don't wash her every night but she does get to soak and play in the tub every night). A little massage before bed might help too. Both massage and bath release hormones that tells a baby's body it is time to sleep. Finally, make sure she is well fed prior to bed. (If you've started solids or are starting...give cereal in the late evening and a bottle/breastmilk close to bedtime so she isn't hungry). If you're doing all of that, then you're doing all you can. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She'll sleep through the night when she is ready. It isn't something that can be forced.
    Anonymous

• Have you read Baby Wise? It's a great book and my LO was sleeping through the night at 2 months. It's not one of those books you want to follow to the T, but it's a great guideline.
    Anonymous

• LOL. Baby Wise was written by a man who thinks babies should eat on the parent's schedule. Not someone I'd take advice from.
    http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/reviews/parenting_books/on_becoming_babywise.html
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's gas, try to burp her or pat her back. You could also try baby gas-x (Mylicon drops) & can put it right in her bottles (every feeding) if she is bottle fed. Our first was gassy ALL the time. It's pretty painful though. Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009