is it a sign of autism

my son rock from side to side (right to left or left to right) he has been doing this sence we move Colorado (but we are back home with family). he rock when he watches tv. hears music. when he get mad or upset. he rocks all the time unless someone is holing him or if he is in his stroller or on his sit and ride thing. when he walk he even has a little rock to it. but am i worrying to much.
he is 13 months (year and a month old )

Afmommywife

Asked by Afmommywife at 10:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i dont know what that sounds like but he definately needs to see a dr.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• That is one of the characteristics of classic ASD. However, if he is up on most of the other developmental milestones its PROBABLY something else. Maybe he has a sensory issue. Or for some children ...that's just how they cope. But i would probably want to express my concerns to a doctor if i was in your position.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• does he point/clap/wave? babble or have words yet? answer to his name? if not, the rocking along with some of the other stuff might be a cause for his concern. but if he's on track with the other stuff, the rocking might just be a weird quirk
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Please go to my website www.yourspecialkid.com. The top navbar has a tab The Spectrum. It gives you some really straightforward information, the various signs/symptoms. You might not realize your child has some of the signs, especially at this agae. I have a 7 yr old son with PDD-NOS, an autism spectrum disorder.

I do thin you should get your child an eval with a doc.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I did that as a baby and through most of my life. I like rocking, swinging...always have. When I started to crawl I would bang my head against things till I got sleepy - did that until I was about 12. I also used to twirl around in circles a lot - sometimes all the way home from school. I'm not even slightly autistic. ..I'm very artistic though. Try letting him finger paint. See if he likes it.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It can be A sign of Autism. (one sign does not mean he's autistic)

It can also be a sign of SPD (sensory processing disorder).

It can also be a sign of other things....

Bring it up to your pediatrician....it might be time to start evaluations....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If that's the only sign that you are noticing then probobly not. Is he delayed in his milestones? You might want to bring it up to your dr. but it's not really one of the signs of autism. Try going to autismspeaks.org.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009