A.D.D.

My 5 year old's kindergarten teacher is concerned about him. She has been worried that he doesn't concentrate very well.. and that he likes to get out of his seat a LOT during work time.. So she asked if she could fill out a checklist for him.. and see what we needed to work on.. I said ok.
Well the check list came home today - and it says the he has many behaviors that indicate that he may be A.D.D. .. inattention, impulsivity, hyperactivty and anger control.
While he may show these signs at school.. he seems to do fine with routine and structure at home.. very little problems.
How would I know if he actually had A.D.D. and why only at school..
What should I REALLY be looking at ??
I do appreciate the fact that she is concerned. And that she has 18 other students that she needs to teach. I just don't want my kid labeled as ADD if it's just the fact that he needs more one on one.. or is that what ADD is ?? HELP.

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's only at school, it's NOT ADD. For a kid to have ADHD/ADD it's consistent behavior in all settings.

If you want to check into it further (just to be sure or whatever reason) I recommend starting with seeing a developmental pediatrician.

The teacher can't "label" him. If anyone tries to label him after filling out one set of papers tell them where to stick their label. It's not a quick thing to have a diagnosis. My son has been seeing a psychologist since last fall and we don't have a diagnosis yet (suspect for Asperger's and/or ADHD)

Preschool and Kindergarten teachers are on the look for developmental issues in ALL kids. It's not to slap labels on them...it's more of a "hey, I see some red flags here, it might warrant being checked out." I don't think she's trying to slap a label on your son. I think she sees something and it's raised some red flags for her. She doesn't know how he is at home.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• First, a 5 yo is supposed to be hyper. They have short attention spans and usually don't like to sit for long periods. Second, a diagnosis of ADD would do nothing to really help her as you wouldn't have to medicate for it. Third, many teachers like to fit the square peg into the round hole. While the teacher needs to be able to teach her other kids, she also needs to try harder to teach yours.

Personally, I would volunteer a couple of times to see what she does with him in class. Her behavior towards him might be making the situation worse. Observe him in class, make notes of him at home. Fill out their paperwork and have him examined by a doc of YOUR choice.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Well, it's February and your child is still only 5 and in Kindergarten. So he sounds like a "young" 5 and may just not be ready to be sitting and attentive all day. Nothing wrong with that. Kids that age still have a short attention span and tend to be, on what the teacher's call, the hyper side. He sounds like a perfectly normal 5 year old.

Honestly, schools are hot to label kids as ADD if they cause any distraction to the class. They want a bunch of good little robots that do what they are told and sit nicely. 5 year olds, and especially boys, just aren't meant to do that. A teacher or school might find it easier to label a child ADD, and have you seek medical treatment for them, rather than deal with a spirited or curious child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ....she can only go by what she sees. It's up to a professional (should you chose to check it out) to decide if there's anything to it.

Our psychologist told us when we started that we were giving my son an initial diagnosis...."Connor has Connor-itis" LOL In other words, looking at it that Connor was just being Connor and he had some quirks to explore. We are, in fact, closer to an ADHD diagnosis...but it's been over the course of months and not just based on his behavior in ONE setting.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Also he could be bored, if he is not interested or already knows what she is teaching he is not going to pay attention as well.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• TiccledBlue - that's funny.. My little boy's name is Connor also.. and sometimes I think it is just Connor-itis.
    There have been a lot of environment changes here at home, with me going back to work after taking 6 months off, and I'm pretty sure that is a major part of the issue with him at school.
    Sometimes it's hard to get him to sit down and do his homework.. but it's just because he's more interested in other things - playing a game with mom and his brother and sisters, or just playing in general.. but once I get him sat down to do the homework - he does really well.
    I hope the rest of his school year - and years go better.
    Another factor in all of this is that his dad passed away just before he turned 1. And lately he's been asking a lot of questions about his daddy, and about dying. I think he's just got a lot going thru his little mind - and doesn't know how to structure it yet. he's just a kid.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2009