Why do mom's on here overreact so much?

Half the advice I ever read on here is TAKE THE CHILD TO THE ER or GO TO THE ER. Do you guys realize that the ER is for emergencies? Do you realize that there are primary care doctors for a reason and that YOUR doctor has a doctor on-call for advice. People that REALLY need help in the ER get attention taken away from them for nonsense stuff like a fever of 102 or a cold or puking or cramps. Where did common sense go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Health

• Ladies, I think the OP was asking why people just blurt out "go to the ER" when someone is asking a medical question instead of trying to answer that person's actual question. It is frustrating to see "my son is coughing, how can I get him to stop" and there are 10 "take him to the ER" answers instead of suggestions to aleviate coughing. From working in ERs myself, they are over-run with people who do not belong there. If you do feel you have an emergency, of course, go to the ER. If you need immediate help and have no insurance, of course, go to the ER if you have to. However, she's right, when people use the ER instead of a regular doctor it burdens the ER staff, ties up the ambulance system and causes complications in people who need emergent help NOW but can't get it. I don't think the people that suggest the "ER" are suggesting abusing the emergency room though OP.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• if someone is trying to help some one why do you care
    Anonymous

• Not to mention the ER is a dirty place, and really the last place you want to take a small sick child unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Anonymous

• Anon-b/c I work in a hospital and see it first hand. Telling them to rush them to the ER if it is not an emergency is not helping. So take your attitude somewhere else.
    Anonymous

• More drama
    Anonymous

• For the most part, OP, i do agree. 102 fever is no reason to take your child to the ER. in fact, 102 fever isnt really of much concern. That is the bodies natural way of fighting off illness. ..puking is no reason, nor a cold, ....maybe cramps especially if your children are very active. ...but really, society has become to used to believing whatever a doctor says.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Not all of us have an on call way to search for help. I'm in the military and there is a health clinic only open until 4:00 and you can't just go on in and expect to see your pediatrician, let alone any pediatrician. And we aren't allowed to choose our pediatrician either, you go to the ones provided. So going to the ER is our only option in emergency situations....which a high fever with an infant is an emergency. It's not over reacting at all.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If my 6-month-old son had a fever of 102 I am going to bring him to the ER. I don't care what anyone says or how they feel about it.
    Anonymous

• go for it anonymous
    Anonymous

• What if I don't have health insurance and I need help after hours? I don't mind paying out of pocket, but I have taken my baby to the ER when she had a fever, sunken eyes, and diarrhea. Turned out she had rsv.
    Anonymous