Do I call animal control?

My neighbor's dog had some puppies. They kept 2 of the puppies one male and one female. I feel they do not care for the dogs like they should. The mother is chained to the fence most of the time. The puppies are older now. I saw the male pup mating with the female pup and they were stuck. My husband saw the male pup and the mother stuck together one day. I think it would be sad if the sister & mom ends up pregnant by the male pup who is the brother. Should I call animal control or not?

RidingPink

Asked by RidingPink at 11:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Actually the vet told me once that it is perfectly okay for mom and son ect... He said it was not recommended but that it would be fine. I was gonna get a puppy from father daughter dogs and called the vet about it. I was floored but that is what he said.

Anonymous

• As far as the mating goes, it is totally normal. That is not a reason to call animal control. However, if you feel that the mom is being chained to the fence and unable to get food or water, or proper shelter if she needs it, then yes, you can call about that. But as far as the mating goes, that is your neighbors' problem, not yours.
    Anonymous

• sorry forgot to add if they don't have a selter, food, water, gets beat ect... then yeah I would. If it worries you call the spca and ask them about it. I no longer have the 800 # but I use to use it all the time. (my dog got parvo and passed) But you could probibly google and find it.
    Anonymous

• If the don't have any shelter, like a dog house to go into in case of rain. If they have no food and water at all times within their reach. If they're being beat or not properly cared for. If it's over heated or if it's freezing and not being allowed in the house to cool of or warm up. Then yes yes 100x's yes call them NOW!!! If not, then depending on the state they may not be able to do anything for the poor babies. Hope I helped anymore questions you might have p.m. me.

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 6:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If you feel the dogs are not being taken care of, by all means call the local SPCA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, I'd call. Having a mother/son or father/daughter is pushing it but generally ok for the health of the puppies that come out of the union... but brother/sister puppies are NOT ok. They can suffer deformities, health issues, and can honestly be mentally handicapped or unstable. Please call, and you may have to go above and beyond the humane society in your town to the county control.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The puppies probably wont make it once they are born.
    melissam21

Answer by melissam21 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would call based on the care they are receiving or not receiving in this case.  In my county it is illeagal to have a dog 'chained out' they must be in a fence or on a leash.   But having no shealter should be universal as far as acceptable situations for dogs. The mating it's self or the health of resulting puppies is not really a problem but the result of even more puppies is. There are already so many unwanted dogs and cats it is just insane to keep allowing these dogs to breed over and over agian not to mention it is hard on the mom to be pregnant all the time!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would. These animals do not deserve to suffer this way.
    Anonymous

• *having no shelter should be universal as far as unacceptable situations for dogs.  (sorry had to fix that!)

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009