Preschool vs. Jr. Kindergarten

My daughter will be 4 in August. Where I live there is only two options for preschool. One is through a Catholic Church and the other is through a private program. The Catholic School offers not only preschool but also a jr. kindergarten. Our options are 3 days a week from 8:00 to 11:00 and the jr. kindergarten is 5 days a week full time. Has anyone had experience with Jr. Kindergarten and what are your thoughts on it? I would love to put her in full time but I am nervous that it will be too much for her. Given her birthday is at the end of August she will be the youngest in the class and I do not want her to become fustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

maddiemygirl

Asked by maddiemygirl at 11:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, has she had any other kind of childcare experiences?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My opinion/experience- I do not like Preschool for kids. and the 5 days a week for a 4 yr old is to much. Kids that age need more free-play time to devlop their senses and imagination
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• She does go to a sitter but I am not sure if she really works with them as far as letters and numbers. I was going to put her in perschool this year but she was just potty trained right at 3 and then I was expecting our 2nd child two weeks after school started. I decided against it because everyone told me that I should expect a huge set back with potty training after the baby came. She did great and now I regret not sending her. I know my sitter does have a set route with the children but I have noticed that she is getting more and more children and has less time to spend one on one time with them. After visiting the schools and getting a detailed list of the things that they will be working on I have tried to start a lesson plan with her and she seems to be catching on very quickly. She already knows the alphabet, colors, shapes, count to 20 and left from right which is part of what they will be teaching.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 11:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am a big fan of traditional prek...so I like the 3 day a week 8-11 option.

Honstly at that young age full day is just more filled in with things...and I don't see why the need to rush full day with kids if you have an option.

She can learn just as much and maybe more by spending time with you at home cooking, going to local museums, helping you shop.

Go with what you feel comfortable with, but don't feel she will be behind just because you didn't do full day.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• speaking from experiance ( i was always the youngest in my class) i would NOT put her in the kindergarten!! i HATED being the youngest!! and really for a 4 year old 5 days a week alllllllll day is WAAAAAY to much! no, i would not reccommend that! they have the next 12+years to be in school fulltime! why start them at 4?? my daughter is in preschool she goes 3 days a week for 2.5 hrs each day..its perfect! she loves it..yes she wishes she could go everyday all day..but..its to much for those lil brains!! plus im not ready for her to be gone that long..lol..i mean, ultimeatly the decision is yours..but..i wouldnt reccommen all day every day..yes to a couple days a week for a couple hours!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son has been attending preschool 5 days a week (2 1/2 hours per day) for the past school year. He just turned 5 last week.

By "full time" do you mean the full day, or "full time" because she'd be attending every day? If it's a full day, I'd say no...not yet. I just think it's a little early, but you know her better.

Is there an option to put her in the part time preschool and that's going well you can move her to the other full time? That might be something to consider. It's hard to say because being with a baby sitter and in a daycare setting are two different things from my experience.

On the other hand...if you're teaching her all that stuff, why send her at all? If you feel she needs the social activity, okay...but for academics not so much really is it needed. (mine only attend for the social aspects of it)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have no problem with Pre-K my son is 4 and will be 5 at the end of May. He goes 5 days a week from 8:15 till 11:10. He LOVES it!!! Good luck
    Anonymous