My SO smokes and so do my parents. When my SO's son comes over, the following weekend we have him his mom is always complaining about cigarette smoke. Why is she complaining about this now within the last 2 months but never in the last 3 years or when her and SO were together?

Is she just looking for something to make a stink about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• First, yes i do think she is bitching just to bitch, but yes i know i dont like the smell of old cig smoke either. BUT maybe she should have thought about that before she had a kid with your SO if its that big of a deal to her
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Maybe she is looking to make a stink? Either way second and third hand smoke are not good for children (if he smells like cigarettes, he is receiving third-hand smoke). I think if she's suggesting that you not smoke around him, I think you should stop for his health, not for her. To say "you're right, smoking in the house with him around isn't good for him and we're not doing it anymore" would really take the heat out of her fire as well as potentially improve his health. Win, win situation if you ask me :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• im playing devil's advocate, but maybe now that she doesnt love him she sees how bad it is? i dont know the situation only you do... she may just be trying to make a stink
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• well I dont smoke and he is a grown man and his father, so I am not really at liberty to say. Its not even his clothes really, its his bag that is usually downstairs because thats where it gets thrown when he comes over. She doesnt send clothes in his bag for him to go home in, just the ones from the previous week that i sent him in. His clothes are kept in his room upstairs where no one smokes
    Anonymous

• First I have to say that I HATE cig smoke! It's gross, and the smell gets stuck in my nose. Second, I think she is complaining just to complain. Though, I can see why she'd be sick of it. But if she put up with it while they were together, and they are not together anymore, she kinda doesn't have a say.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• well thank you guys for your input. I just hate it when women try to pick at small things and she trys to control what goes on on my SO's weekend with his son.
    Anonymous

• Your SO should not be smoking in the house with children. I would be mad too if I were her.
    Anonymous

• 2nd hand smoke is not a SMALL THING. Your SO child cannot escape the smoke. If he wants to kill his own lungs, great..do it outside on your own..
    Anonymous

• when she was living with SO she was used to smelling the smoke on everything and didn't notice it. now that she doesn't smell it all the time (in the house, car ect.) she notices it.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Anon 11:50 I know and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but its his home too, what am I supposed to tell him? If it werent for him we wouldnt even have a home
    Anonymous