Nap Times?

At what age do you believe a child should stop taking naps, if they wish to continue doing it?

I think age 5 or 6

My son is 19 months and still takes a two hour nap every day

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 11:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its different for every child. But i do agree with the OP 5 or 6 for most kids. Sometimes, for those kids who seem to be growing out of naps before that age, ...you might want to compromise with some quite time. Give the kid some books and some puzzles. maybe something to color. ...Leave them in the room with dimmed light and tell them that you expect them to be quite. they dont have to sleep but that their bodies are still growing and they need the rest.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• my eldest stopped at 3... he just wouldn't sleep.... my middle stopped at 18 months... I guess just let them nap until their bodies say they don't need it anymore.
    new_mom_10_21

Answer by new_mom_10_21 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• daaaang! my daughter completely stopped at 18 months!! i had PLANNED on cutting them out at 2 years tho..5 or 6?? thats ridiculous!! (in my opinion) i would never see my kid! preschool or kindergarten in the mornings..nap in the afternoons, plus i gotta work and usually i work late afternoons to early evenings..yaa..i could never do that!!! wouldnt work for my lifestyle!! 2 is a good age!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Well, if a child is in school all day, then they don't have the chance to nap so 5 or 6 is generally the limit. But I think a child should be allowed to nap or at least take a quiet "lay down" when ever she wants if at all possible.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• When they aren't tired in the middle of the day anymore. None of my kids have ever napped past 3 or 4 but occasioanlly they will get tired and take one, even my 10 year old.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2009