How do I get my 16 and 18yr olds to go to school? They are both kicked out.

KathyStone

Asked by KathyStone at 11:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd need to know a little backstory about the behavior that led them to be kicked out in the first place to know what would be effective on them, really.

But with the 18 year old, you have no choice, he/she's an adult. They simply need to learn from their mistakes. You kicked them out, and as much as I disagree with the concept of kicking out a minor, you left them to fend for themselves... let them do it.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 12:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Kicked out of school or the house? If school were they expelled? If home then there is really nothing you can do unless they want to come home and you make that hinge on going to school.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• if they were kicked out of school? nothing. tell them to get a ged &a job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• When I was a teenager I did not go to school and my mom call a Truancy Officer to come and handcuff me and take me to school. I was so embaressed that I got up and went to school after that. I was really angry with my mom for a little while after that but I got over it.
    Anonymous

• their prob.
    they wanna be adults so let them.
    but first let them talk to teens that dropped out & see how much hell their goin through
    Anonymous

• There are alternative schools. But I have no answers, my son barely made it thru HS cuz he hated school. My sis-in-law home schooled on of my nephews for 10 th grade. HE appreciated school after that.
    Anonymous

• if they were kicked out then they can't go to school. The 18 yr old should do something with her time. She could get a GED or do something. She can't just sit around the house. The 16 yr old needs to figure it out. Ask her what her plans for the future are and no it's not acceptable to think she's going to just get married and live off someone. Tell them both to take some pride in themselves and make something of themselves other than bums. Maybe there is some job training program in a field in which they have an interest. Find their interests...and let's hope it's not just Guitar Hero.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009