Safe homes through Bethany Christian Services??????????

Has anyone here been a Safe home for Bethany Christian Services??? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Michelle

hopingforanange

Asked by hopingforanange at 12:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Adoption

• I haven't but GO BETHANY! They were my adoption agency! (I'm adopted). I spent a few months in foster care as a baby and my parents can't say enough of how wonderful the home and my foster parents were. Is that the same thing?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No this is a brand new program they have come out with. It is to help biological parents to get on their feet. There child might stay with a family from 1 day to 4 months however long it takes the parent to get a job and all or whatever it is he or she needs to do. I guess it is kind of like foster care except this children have not been taken away from their parents. Their parents have asked for help. It is nice to hear something good about Bethany thought.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 9:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am a firstmother, and I used Bethany as my agency for my son's placement. Although the social worker I worked with at my branch was nice and empathetic, my experience as a while, in hindsight, was unfair. I was taught to make my decision completely with my head and never once considered my heart or the damage my child would endure as an adoptee. I don't know anything about the homes, but in what I have heard from other birthmoms about Bethany, they are a terrible agency.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Bethany rocks. This sounds like an awesome ministry they are doing!
    Anonymous

• We used Bethany for our first adoption. They were pretty good to work with. I'd give them a 7 out of 10.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 12:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hopingfororange - do you have link for these "safe homes?" I haven't heard good about Bethany but I would like to read and research what they are offering with this before making a comment one way or another.
    Thanks.
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would like a link as well. I don't trust anything an agency does.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Okay I looked up the link. I have not read it yet myself but, will later today. I have been in contact with them in the past. They emailed me to let me know that they have just started this program and I am very interested in helping children and their parents. So I have seriously been considering doing this. I know they have it in Georgia. I am not sure what other states are doing it yet. I think it really has just began about a month ago. Well if you are planning to do this to let me know how it goes. :0)
    .http://www.bethany.org/A55798/bethanyWWW.nsf/0/3366FA3E48C61C07852574D500668B3D

Love,
    Michelle
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 2:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You literally pounce like a cat on a mouse on every posting here where some even hints that they might be considering adoption and you want to be a "safe home" for a mom who want to keep her child? Are you sure you aren't hoping to get a woman in your home who is having a hard time & eventually "convince" her that you could give her baby more? I just dont see from what i have seen of your contact here that your home could be a very good place to try to "get on your feet" & go on to parent.
    Anonymous

• From all that I have heard about Bethany, I am skeptical. But, many agencies that I never thought will ever change are doing so. However, I have to wonder too if many potential adoptive parents will sign up in hopes of finding a baby and that might make the program fairly partial in the direction of adoption.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2009