What is the difference between your soul and your spirit?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Soul - Nephesh is the Hebrew word commonly translated as soul in English. It literally means the "complete life of a being" though it is usually used in the sense of "living being" (breathing creature). Person - Who we are! God Breathed into man the Breath/Nephesh..

Spirit - Ruach in Hebrew. Greek - pneuma, which can also mean "breath" "life" "air" ...Exsistence
    Consciousness, Sapience, Self-awareness, Concept, Cognitive linguistics...Would also say intellect.

Hinson...there is a difference in also the Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit, the Comforter...that comes in indwell every believer. This happens at the point of salvation, believing and relying upon Jesus.
    Different Spirit....His Spirit works in and through our Spirit. Guiding...Showing right from wrong and directing us.
    Hope this helps answer the question..
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• well.. your soul is what most people think is what's going to get you to an after life.. a spirit can be the same thing.. or it can be the motivation behind something (ex. Team Spirit). It can also be known as a "ghost" and can define an angel or demon... and a spirit can also define the energy left behind after you die (not nessecerily a soul.. but there is "energy" left behind when something dies... ex. if you cut a leave, and use a certain camera, the part that missing still appears in the photo, due to the energy left behind).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• however a soul can also be used as an expression. (ex.. I tried with all my heart and soul..)
    but in the end it all comments like this still refer back to the original meaning..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The soul is the real persont of the conscience.
    Spirit: the immortal part of a person.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hinson what about those that do not know Christ. How can their spirit be the Holy Spirit of God?

The soul is our mind and emotions , it is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself
    The spirit is the immortal part of man. Our soul holds our spirit. Man is not a spirit, it has a spirit.
    The spirit is how one relates to God and the things of God. When you are born again your spirit becomes ALIVE in Him. This is the difference.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• IMO soul=everlasting self and spirit=term for my soul when it visits people that have not passed on yet.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• A SOUL is you when you are a live in your fleshly body

A SPIRIT is when you are dead the remembrence of you that goes to god

I have scriptures if any one wants them, but it seems like many people dont use them.
    Anonymous

• im agreeing with heavenschild99
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Soul - Nephesh is the Hebrew word commonly translated as soul in English. It literally means the "complete life of a being"

I like this! I always said I married my soul-mate :-)

ransomed66

Answer by ransomed66 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009