im 40 weeks and im still not dilated or effaced...

i know due dates are just a guess and stuff but iv been having contractions that i cant walk or talk through

my doc says i have an unfavorable crevix

and on thursday im going in for a non-stress test and a US

well in dec i was having problems with preterm labor and they gave me a shot

2 times to relax something idr wut it was

so i was thinking maybe that is y my cervix is not opening or anything

could that be y?????

or is my body just being stubborn???

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• DILATION AND EFFACEMENT MEAN NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO PREDICTING WHEN LABOR WILL HAPPEN!!!

With my son I went into labor at 0cm and 0%. Some women can be at 5cm and 75% for weeks. So completely ignore all that crap about dilation and effacement!!!! Wash it from your brain and don't even remember it.

Be careful about the NST. They have a high false positive rate, meaning that they will often say that your baby is in distress and needs to get out when there's nothing wrong. Remember, that you're not overdue until you are 42 weeks. Your due date is a rough estimate. You are due anytime between your 38th & 42nd week. So you are just right in the middle and could have a little bit longer before you're little one is ready to be born.

I say wait it out just a a little bit longer. Give your body a chance to go into labor on it's own. And then after 41 weeks, see what's going on an make a game plan from there. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm also curious... Why did your doctor say you have an unfavorable cervix? What did he say about it???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• All my mom side of family they were overdue by at least 3 weeks so,it is hard to say a birth should be this way or this way,i guess it is special of different for every person.
    Enjoy the moment that brings you little one into the world and remember it always.
    I just wish you the best and keep us posted !
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• he said it is still hard and has not dropped since i was 36 weeks (or it feels like it has not dropped)
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh shoot... your cervix can stay high and hard until RIGHT before you go into labor! It can shorten and get soft in a VERY short time (matter of hours). Your cervix is just fine.

Just let your body do what it's meant to do. Don't try to rush and just enjoy these last fews days while you can. You'll miss them when they're gone! I know I sure do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was 0 an 0 two or three days before I went into labor. my doc told me he would be seeing me at my next appt. a week later because there was no way that i was going to go into labor before then. Joke was on him! And I had been given terbutaline (the medicine they most often use to stop pre-term labor) 5 times by the time my daughter was born...it doesn't have the ability to keep you from going into labor indefinitly it will only stop it for as long as the drug is in your system. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Means nothing. I had my last child at 41 weeks and 4 days. I had an unfavorable cervix the morning I went into labor. You do not have to dialate or efface to go into labor.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Try not to stress about not being dilated or effaced. I was due on the same day as you:) but I had her 6 weeks early and I wasnt dilated or effaced before labor either. My water broke and my contractions didnt even start until 3 hrs later.....then everything went sooo fast..dilated from 0-10 in just a few hours.....sooooo dont stress about that. The baby will come I PROMISE...she cant stay in there much longer. Hang in there, keep me updated.
    MamasGirls4ever

Answer by MamasGirls4ever at 10:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Don't worry about it! At 35 weeks I was at the doctors office getting examined. I was not dilated or effaced. In fact the doctor said that my cervix was tightly shut.

Two hours later my water broke and was dilated to 2cm and then five hours later I was at 8cm.

Either your baby will arrive when it wants to or you will be induced. Don't let the non-dilation get you down! It WILL happen!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009