• In the Spotlight:

how does everyone feel about homework?

does anyone feel that homework should be banned .i feel its unnessisary n stresses the child out , n takes away from time we spend with our kids its too much stress homework after the child is in school for some hours then bombarded with more work how does anyone feel about this

miamimom2

Asked by miamimom2 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• that's something I love about homeschooling, no homework
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Kids should not have homework until they can be responsible for it themselves. I never had homework in kindergarten, 1st grade, etc. I don't remember homework until 4th or 5th grade.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I dont mind homework as long as it isnt excessive, I think there needs to be a limit, teachers should give assignments that take a set amoutn of time. my 2nd grader has to read for 20 minutes everynight and i sign his log he also has spelling, I think that is great, and it gives him a sens of responsibility for his school work. My 5th grader has homework maybe 2 nights a week and he spends 20 minutes of less doing it.

Most mights my boys have their homework done before they get home they both like to do it in class or during free time at school, we have yucky weather so they are inside alot.

Luckily i have never had to fight the homework battle with my kids they both pull wonderful grades and I never have to talk to them about their work.

I remember homework being much worse when i was a kid there was more of it and it took longer. My kids have had homework since kindy but it is always age appropriate timewise.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i also think its wrong and unnecessary until like atleast grade 8..kids go thru enuff..i mean really, isnt like 7 hours of school enuff for one day? its a fulltime job!! plus extra-cirrucular stuff like sports/swimming/music etc.!! i do agree with reading (for younger kids) 20-30 minutes is ok, because that can be fun..but other stuff..no..its a cop-out for the teachers not doing good enuff jobs in the schools! schools are there to teach the kids, not have them be tought all day and then have to come home and spend hours doing homework there too!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If the child isn't finishing the work in class then homework is okay, but if it's an ongoing thing maybe too advanced class. Otherwise no homework, just studying for tests, What are we paying teachers for?
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• What age are we talking about? I don't see anything wrong with middle school and up having homework. And as long as you're talking about less than an hour for all of the homework, I don't see any issue with elementary, 4th, 5th grade. I don't think 1st graders should be doing tons of homework, but I think there is a lot for children to learn, and there's nothing wrong with sending a little of that home.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Lynette,you took the words from me. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with homework, I think it's good for the kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I feel like i'm the one who's doing the homework!!lol My 6th grader had 2 hours of hw the other night, it sucks some of her math i did'nt even do in hs...
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I hate it! My So & I have a long day at work and then come home and sit with the kids doing homework until 8:30pm some nights. Its so hard on them and its like comming home o your second job! i think its needed because alot of the stuff they do in school they do not understand so if we didnt help with homework they will neva have learnt it. They are to shy to say infront of their friends in class they don't get it.
    Mal24

Answer by Mal24 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009