Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about a father giving up his rights??

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and I broke the engagment off with my fiancee on Valentines Day (found out he cheated) but now that were done he doesn't want to be a part of our sons life... He wants to give up his rights now and my question is can I fight it or anything?? I just don't know and he helped make the baby, he should help raise it.. thought maybe someone on here would know, thanks to anyone who trys to help :)

Answer Question

Asked by Aidensmommy2be at 2:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • sorry to say...i am the daughter of a daddy who gave up his rights. there is nothing you can do to stop him from doing so. i am not sure as far as finacially if he is still obligated, i don't know if my mom couldn't pursue child support or just didn't. but as far as giving up his parental rights there is nothing you can do but hope and pray he changes his mind. I am so sorry you are going through this. Good luck.

    Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • First, you cannot make a father be there. He should help support your baby financially but you cannot make him be a good dad. It really depends on the state that you live in. In my state they will not allow a father to voluntarily sign over his rights unless there is another man to adopt the child (mom's husband) and if his rights are terminated due to abandonment (not active for a year) he is still repsonsible financially

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • In most states he wont be able to just sign off his rights just bc he wants to. In most situations there would have to be someone willing to adopt the child. like a step father. ...yea. go to family court and file for child support as soon as the baby is born.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 2:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • He is just trying to get out of paying child support. Follow Anon's and outstandingLove's advice.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 2:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • file child support, he can give up the right to see baby but he cannot walk away from responsibilties. BUT if he pays support he can come in and out of her life when he wants, so you may be better off letting him go. Sorry hon, he sounds like a jerk.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 2:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • yeah he cant just "sign away" unless its for someone else to adopt the child. if that were possible tons of guys would be doing that to get out of the child support! Just because someone doesnt want to be a dad doesnt absolve them of the financial obligation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • you cant really make him become a father i think its stupid that hes taking it out on the baby u could make him pay child support but thats all u really can do about that . be the best mommy you can be. my friend is raising her son on her own and he doesnt ask about a daddy hes 6 and doing just fine. im sorry for the hard times ur going through.

    Answer by babyangelromero at 4:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • It depends on the laws in your state. Here in TX a parent can sign away their rights, and still have to pay child support unless the child is adopted. My best friend had this happen with her son's father he has signed away his parental rights, but still pays child support.

    Answer by LolosMom at 4:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • Since it varies state-to-state, I'd go down to your local courthouse and ask. They can point you in the right direction. And I also think you can get the paperwork for child support started before the child is even born, just so you are on the ball. Good luck mama and I'm sorry. But don't let this d*ckweed out of his financial obligation!

    Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 6:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

  • A lot of states won't let him do it unless he is a danger to the child or there is someone else willing to adopt the child. But, think of it this way: How would you feel if someone spent time with you b/c they were forced? Chances are, if this guy is enough of a jerk to want to give up his rights, then he's also enough of a jerk to tell your child as he/she gets older that he's only around b/c mommy made him. Not to mention, if you go after him for child support (and I think you should, but it's your choice), he can choose to get visitation. Depending on the state, the judge, etc., you could have to let him take your baby on weekends or something like that. Might be better to just let him go, and raise your baby on your own. My ex hasn't paid child support in 3 yrs or seen my kids in 4, but they don't even care, and are much better off. Just think about it before you try to fight him or change his mind.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy