How high should a toddlers temp. before taking to doctors

When should a toddler be seen when he has high temp. son 2 has 101.9 temp and not going down

mandi59901

Asked by mandi59901 at 3:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 101.9 is not a big deal. ...remember that the body is heating itself up to kill the germs ...if it gets up to 104 then it is time to be concerned and take him to the doctors right away. 105 (i believe, it could be 106) CAN (but doesnt always) cause brain damage.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would call at 102 if it is not responding to treatment. Any fever that doesn't break for a long time is a corncern and they want to know abouot it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Most fevers break in the morning. ...just give it time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• That depends is that with tylenol or ibuprofen or without? If it is with then I wouldn't let it go much higher, if it is without, then 103. It really is going to depend on the child too, because some people just get high fevers and some don't.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• **Regarding fevers, duration of the fever, as the previous poster said, is very important also. Make sure dehydration doesn't become an issue.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Call and see what your pediatrician says. Ours says to take the temperature...if it's 104 or up take them in. If it's below that and you give Tylenol...take the temperature one hour later. If it has gone down, okay, take it in another hour. If in this second hour it spikes, call them back and take him in. If it's still down or down more..keep monitoring and giving Tylenol every 4 hours.

(we can't give motrin...sensitive stomachs to it)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• 101.0 go to the dr.
    103.0 can cause seizers and go to the hospital
    105.5 call 911
    babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 6:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Not to high I'd say 100.1 thats about it. They are to little to have a high fever.
    tagansmybaby

Answer by tagansmybaby at 8:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If his temp. isnt going down after giving him tylenol and Motrin then I would take him to the doctor. My son was so sick a few months ago and I woke up in the middle of the night because he was laying next to me burning up and I checked his temp and it was 105.2!! We had already been to the doct. a million times and they just kept sending us home saying that it was a virus and so I rushed him to another hospital and after running many test he had phenemonia. So be on the look out for a rise in temp. because they can have a sezure due to the high temp. Hope your baby feels better.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was always told to give the tylenol every four hours and the motrin every six but do it to where he isnt going with out any medicine for two hours. When my son was running that high fever, we couldnt keep any medicine down. On the way to the er that night we just had to put a cold rag over his head and face.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009